Glass Stains

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by GoldenOne7710, Feb 12, 2020.

1. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

What's the beast method/product to remove these "stains" of my door glasses? Vinegar? Rubbing compound? Windex and other glass cleaners won't touch it. 20200211_195437.jpg 20200211_195424.jpg
    Bottom picture is hard to see the dull spot, but the top picture shows it pretty well. The spot is smooth with no noticeable texture. Just a dull "stain". This particular window I got from a 2nd Gen collector with a bunch of parts cars. He had a stack of these door glasses inside one of his junk cars. I got the one with the least amount or scratches...but it has these stains.

2. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

I always use 0000 steel wool seams to always work pretty good then a little compound, if that doesn’t do the trick than it’s probably not coming off

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  3. GoldenOne7710

Steel wool did cross my mind...but wanted to hear from you folks who've done it.

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Could it possibly be over spray Andy? Maybe try a new single edge razor blade or lacquer thinner. If you decide to use a buffer and some jeweler's rouge or compound, don't get the glass too hot. It will explode and make a huge mess.

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  5. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

6. GoldenOne7710

It's not overspray. It was on the glass when I bought it off the parts guy that had it. It looks a lot like rust stains. Like I said, this glass came out of a stack of windows that were piled in the floorboard of a junk car that allowed rain to drip inside.

When I got it, one of the things I had to do was change the roller guides because they were so rusted. The rollers on my orginal (severely scratched) window were in great shape, so I swapped them onto this scratch-free glass...with stains.

I took a razor blade scraper tool and got after one of the spots pretty good. I did it dry so I could see whether or not it was doing anything. The razor blade actually did dig into it and started leaving little lines of residue. So it will come off with some elbow grease. Actually got one of the smaller spots completely gone...but it was a lot of work for such a small area.

I may go get some 0000 steel wool tomorrow just to see what happens.

7. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

If you happen to have a bottle of GOO GONE try that.Wifey picked some up and like that hot sauce I put that sh!t on everything!Don't know whats in it but it really works on residue,stains and such,plus it seems to polish what you clean-Good luck Later Steve!!

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

If it is rust use some CLR or a mix of some type of strong acid and water. Like 70% water to Acid. Just be careful not to get it on any kind of chrome. Will destroy the finish. Dampen a rag or sponge ring it out so it doesn't drip,and use a dry rag to catch any drips. I used a 50/50 mix of muriatic /hydrochloric Acid and water for dried concrete on rocker panels and bottom of fenders that had run through wet concrete. It fizzes as it is working on the lime. Breaks down the concrete and it can be scraped off with a finger nail or plastic scraper. Won't hurt the paint but kills chrome. Good luck.

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  9. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Use regular toothpaste. I had marks from the window guides that were there for years and it took them off. A lot of old restorers use it.