GM Dual Fans install into 2nd Gen **Pic Heavy**

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by czizza, Oct 20, 2019.

1. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Hey all,

Wanted to do a right up ... I have seen numerous posts on this but nothing with details and part#.

What you need:
    1) A Dual Fan controller (I have a Flex A light) anything you want for this.
    2) GM3115141
    3) Custom Works Radiator Closeout Panel (http://www.customworksproducts.com/cooling-fans-closeout-panels.html)
    4) 1/2" Inch x 1/8" steel or aluminum strips (HomeDepot or Lowes)

First you need to get the fans with the harness ... this is how they look:
    [​IMG]

Then fab up some the 1/2" x 1/8" steel or aluminum (I used aluminum) for the fan bottom holders. Mine attach to the bottom of the radiator and fit pretty nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I trimmed about a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch off of the radiator top shroud back side this allowed the shroud to fit snugly under the radiator TOP support (the longest piece of plastic in the image). Think of it as looking at the side of the fans and trimming straight up so it is flat and then across the top for the whole length then back down that is why you see a 3 inch up 27 inch across and 3 inch down.

I also trimmed the support for cut lines to allow the shroud to fit into slots. I wish I would have taken better pictures but this was an idea and I was like holy crap that is awesome and I did not take pictures of each step but what I do have is a picture of what you cut off when done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is why you make the cuts in the top radiator support:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

... and the final product:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coadster32 and dave@ztech like this.
  2. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

How does your alternator keep up with that?
    I tried these with a big block and didn't have enough room. My spal fans have plenty though.

3. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

So far no issue with fans on and AC ... I did see an issue with Wipers/AC and Fans ... I am going to investigate more but that is rare to be out with rain.

4. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Have you checked it with headlights? That is when my issue would happen and what I noticed on the first trip with them.. it sucked lol
    Looks like a nice install! Good write up too!

5. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

I will definitely check with lights on. Also I have fuel injection too. My plan is to upgrade that to a CS130. Right now I have a 10SI rated at 130 but that was never real even with the old electric fans.

6. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Which cs130 are you wanting to upgrade to?
    I had a cs130 on my car and it wouldn't handle fuel injection, lights, and fans. I went to an AD230 from qualitypower and it hasn't skipped a beat.
    Also check your charge wire to ensure it is big enough. I am running a 4 gauge and it seems to be enough since it is only 16 inches long.
    My current alternator is 180 amps and does everything.

7. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

I was thinking of the AD230 too ... I have two 8 gauge wires running to a 2 gauge ... Why 2 x 8 gauge ... before my 1st set of fans I upgraded to powermaster and it came with an 8 gauge, so I ran it ... later I added dual fans (220 flexalite) and had some charging issues at night so I added a 2nd 8 gauge wire and that cured my power issue.

I will know more once I get it on the road and tune up the the temp sender .... and then if I have to I will replace with a 4 gauge ... or move it all to the trunk and replace it all.

My next project is a Holey Dominator install so when I rip it all down I will make the determination if we are doing trunk mount and cut off and all new wires. More write ups to come :D

8. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

13.2V with AC on, Fans On, Engine @ Idle, Head Lights on, Radio and Amp. I also have an MSD 6AL and a huge HVC coil (blue). So not too bad for idle ... wipers will definitely drop it below 13v. Like I said something to think about ... Dominator is next.

76z28 likes this.
  9. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

That's awesome! Maybe my cs130 was weak.. Who knows but glad to hear it all worked out.

10. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Looks great!
    I'm running the same fan setup on my LS swap really like how they look and have had zero issues with 7k miles on the setup.
    I was able to use the stock top plate as well.
    Almost looks like they were made for the second Gen.