GM's LS oil leakers / burners or "The 2 stroke Chevy"

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by sbca96, Jun 11, 2014.

1. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

The 1999 Camaro SS LS1 is back in the garage again....

[​IMG]

The wife noticed its leaking/burning oil yet again, it seemed to slow down a little
    after I did these (front seal and modern PCV).

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256418

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276084

Oil is dripping onto the ground around the front of the TRANSMISSION pan, which
    makes me think its leaking from the top back of the engine, and running down the
    bellhousing. Since the flipping knock sensor code is back for the 4th time in 120k
    miles I had to pull the intake AGAIN anyway. Tomorrow, I will look down the back
    to see if I can find an oil leak, but all that is there is the oil pressure sensor, right?

As far as the burning, in that picture above, when I took the intake off, EACH of
    the runners had oil running down from the bottom corners. This doesn't seem like
    a good sign to me. I'm thinking perhaps valve seals, it has 245k miles on it, but I
    have that on the Impala SS LT1 and it doesn't leak or use any noticeable amount
    of oil .. so what gives? Should I run thicker oil? 10W-40 ?

Between replacing knock sensors, cleaning my driveway, and adding oil all the time
    I have to say this is the worst designed engine ever made, not worth 30 more HP.
    I'm getting so sick of working on it, its actually using more oil then my Studebaker
    Avanti which just had its 50th birthday last year - it leaks a decent amount of oil!

BTW, my father-in-law wasn't too happy about the stain this damn thing left in his
    driveway, and the fact it did is pitiful.

Tom

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I thought perhaps excessive crankcase pressure popped the PVC plug out of the
    drivers side rear PVC port that used to go to the crossover tube eliminated when
    I swapped valley covers ... but its still there, and not wet.

The back of the engine, near the OPS is oily, but not fresh wet. There seems to
    be some wetness from the device next to it, not sure what it is.

I also put a cardboard under the car 24 hours ago and do not see even a quarter
    as much as in the picture she sent me of her fathers driveway.

The oil that I saw running down from the corners of the runners seems to have
    collected at the gasket, the runners are wet, but not puddled.

It it was valve seals, the oil would not be present in the intake, or at the intake
    manifold gaskets, which means its sucking oil from the valley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tom

3. Ihada70Z28B4

Ihada70Z28B4 Veteran Member

Are you sure it's not the PCV sucking in the oil? I had this problem with the GN and solved it by adding an in line air compressor separator on the PCV hose (poor mans catch can). You could always experiment and hook one up on a temp basis to monitor how much its sucking up. As for the leak I have nothing helpful to offer there.

4. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Well, hopefully you get it fixed this time.

Hilarious to read your biased comments reference the LS series engines!

5. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

:rolleyes:

6. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]

7. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Damn dude, after all is said and done I'd run some seafoam through that thing and blow all the crap off of those valves... That is NASTY looking!

8. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Would a sea foam treatment possible clean the valves and seats?

My ls6 valley cover swap did fix my oil leak...and I did not have any oil in my knock sensors or oil pressure sender... Sucks for you..you must have got a bad engine or one that was beat by previous owner. My 125k LS based truck doesn't have oil issues. Again, sorry about your luck man.

9. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Well, we actually DRIVE these cars, so perhaps that's why you guys never seem
    to have any problems with yours. Not just weekend cruisers here.

Why does the thing leak so much oil? Someone was saying there is a position
    sensor there? Just an O-ring I can change? I thought maybe the OPS might be
    leaking since the threads seemed to be cross threaded, but its dry. I think that
    would be considerably more oil than she saw on her dads driveway. A friend had
    told me about a plate in the back, not the seal, but a plate came loose?

Yes, I watched a video on the catch can thing .. cant GM design an engine that
    doesn't need a 150 dollar oil separator? I was shocked in ONE drive how much is
    in that cup. What is wrong with engine that it does that? I read that GM fuct
    up and used the wrong oil control rings from 1998-2002 .. but it seems like that
    wouldn't cause oil IN the runners or the intake. That's gotta come from the PCV.

This is so irritating. I know that most you guys would copulate with LS engines,
    if it was possible, but they shouldn't leak and burn oil like this.

Tom

10. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

Rear crank seal, and adapter gasket are common to leak. Oil pan gasket is also common. When doing the oil pan, drop the oil pick up and replace the o ring seal.
    I have literally done 50+ ls oil pans because of oil leaks.

LS's leak oil, they are just easier than old school engines to do it right the first time.