GM's LS oil leakers / burners or "The 2 stroke Chevy"

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by sbca96, Jun 11, 2014.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The $30 CC's won't have anything in them. Make your own.

Mine I made from a Seafoam can using this design https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRvVup0zSEQ

I'm using only 1 SS scrub pad cause I think it's sufficient and I've gone back to using another orig Seafoam cap because there's not enough plastic for cutting threads for the pet cock. I want to keep the bottom accessible to the SS pad in case it ever needs to be changed so that's why my bottom isn't sealed with metal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  2. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I think I covered this in one of the previous pages .. but I replaced both the Cam
    and the Crank sensor o-rings. The Cam sensor requires the intake be removed on
    the 4th Gen platform. So not fun.

Tom

3. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

A "good quality" catch can was donated to the project, but I have yet to get it.
    It was handed to a friend to give to me and got left in another project car.

As for the other LS cars I have ... the 2004 GTO had the hydraulic clutch release
    assy go POP, so I had to pull the trans, resurface the flywheel and guess what I
    found .. YUP! the rear cover was leaking and the rear main seal. I had the cover
    left over from the '99 that had the styrofoam stuck to it .. so after cleaning it a
    LOT I installed that on the GTO. So thats 154k and it already was leaking. As for
    the 2008 Corvette. It had signs of a small leak on the rear of the pan. Then more
    had developed since we got it a few months ago. I did an oil change on it last
    weekend and it MIGHT have been coming from the oil filter on that one, it wasnt
    very tight. I cleaned everything up really good, so we should be able to see if
    its coming from elsewhere.

I havent taken the TB off the Corvette to see how much oil is in the intake.

For the record the Corvette has 105,000 miles, its an LS3.

That all said .. the 300k mile 1995 Impala SS LT1 continues to just plug along
    without needing any oil added between oil changes or leaving oil on the ground.

Tom