Going T56 Magnum.. Few Hydraulic questions

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 76z28, Mar 19, 2019.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes

2. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

John, you are the master of the short throw and, with a grip like that, I'll bet you never miss a gear.

John Wright likes this.
  3. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Here's a thread on the Hooker shift hump for Magnum swaps - I have one that I did not use: http://nastyz28.com/threads/hooker-t56-shifter-hump.305975/

I used the SST hydraulic master and slave kit on my Fbody T56. IIRC the clutch master is ATE, a factory supplier to many auto makes. Fit of the master is good, though 2nd gens are not covered in the install instructions, and customer support is like Sgt. Schultz. I guessed that the inboard-most bolt-hole on the triangular flange of the master adapter should be centered on the inboard factory firewall cover plate screw-hole - after getting the master lined up, it fits perfectly with the stock steering column mounting flange (we shall see how the ididit column fits). SST's solution does not include a separate bleeder hose - bleeder is integrated into feed line (which I had to shorten). I was suspicious about it working, and ignored the instructions' suggestion of gravity bleeding. Bench bleeding is not possible - the line must be fed through the bellhousing and connected to the slave with it installed on the input shaft. A buddy helped me foot bleed, and I went thorough a lot of fluid. I've only driven the car in and out of the garage, but it works. I haven't installed my AAW harness yet. This is the second time I've read about hydraulic clutch pedal mechanicals interfering with the fuse box. I'm hoping I'm safe. See my build thread starting at post 163 for more pics.

[​IMG]

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I had the same kit. The bleeder on the feed line is a none issue. However, the master cylinder can give you grief if you don’t shim the pedal rod so it strokes the MC with no side loads.

5. Bad79

Bad79 Veteran Member

Installed the Magnum XE about 2 years ago. I used the American Powertrain kit that came with clutches, brackets, master cylinder and brackets to use factory clutch mounting holes, shifter, etc. You can fit the transmission in there by cutting the hole for the shifter assembly but only if you don't plan on lowering the car. Since I used 1/2 height body mount bushings, I couldn't come close to fitting mine without enlarging the tunnel. At least if I wanted to keep the drive line angles proper.
    [​IMG]Untitled
    [​IMG]Untitled
    [​IMG]Untitled
    [​IMG]Untitled

6. badazz81z28

Are you using Pypes Quadra link exhaust? I’m assuming that’s a narrowed tank?

7. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

I am making my own hydraulic system based on a 4th gen camaro. I will be using the 02 camaro master and a wilwood 3/4 for an 02 camaro as well. Hopefully it works. I'll be raising the rod connecting point to the pedal slightly and will ensure a straight shot to master.
    I do need to figure out the bleeding still... that is where I am currently stuck. I don't want to spend 120 bucks on a bleed line.

Also no lowering my car so hopefully I can cut a smaller hole!

8. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

[insert prayer emoji here]

Get the fittings for each end, and some flexible hard line (aluminum will be fine) and be done with it then. Not complicated., assuming you have a good flaring tool.

76z28 likes this.
  9. badazz81z28

You don’t need a remote bleeder. It does make it easier however.

76z28 likes this.