Good all around timing & afr table?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 73 Z, May 4, 2019.

1. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Update, I used 8pack's tune, but with the secondary linkage still installed and programed for it. Went for about an hour drive on the highway varied speeds from 60/80/100+ runs great at cruise gave it a few stomps which it didn't like at first but seemed to get better. when I stomp while cruising sometimes it made a slight lean pop out TB and shot ducks out the exhaust, but it lessened if I eased into it and also less at about 70+ then stomp.
    Going thru town low cruise was good, but still got same results as above when I stomped it, but if I eased into it, it pulled hard. I hit about every red light 10 or so, and if I took off slow it hesitated. It was better only if I revved up while engaging clutch, but then I was taking off like a hooligan and it would still pop out exhaust but only for a second. If there was a car in front of me at light I felt I needed them to get some distance before I could go, could be the 2.20 first gear. Cant wait to get a 5/6 speed the Muncie on a long drive drove me crazy with the noise and high rpm in 4th just to go the pace of everyone else.
    Thanks for the feedback and links I've read all previously but I guess I need to read again, cause I missed the part about the dist reference angle which has been corrected in all the other tunes I made.

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Clarification...are you running the Hyperspark distributor and did you leave the reference angle at 57.5"? Do you have the inductive delay set at 100?

Did you clear out my learn table before installing the config file? If not I would clear the learn table.

It does take time for it to learn your engine and jumpy starts were an issue for me for awhile but then started to smooth out after 100 miles or so. Again I also took off the progressive linkage as I felt it was contributing to the difficult starts

Also, it seems that folks with manual transmissions have a harder time early on with starting off in first gear and it takes some time for the ECU to learn it's way out if the issue. That is exactly what happened with me.

Get 200 miles on it as quick as you can and see how it improves. Stick with the tune you have for awhile. If you give up before it has time to adapt you will just wind up with a new tune that is trying to adapt and probably have many if the same problems.

Keep at it!!

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  3. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Thanks 8pack,
    Yes I'm running a Hyperspark with reference at 57.5, my inductive is set to 130 because that's what it needed when I synced it the first time around, but the reference was at 45 so I will check to see with timing lite if inductive needs adjustment now that its at the correct 57.5.

I did clear the learn table and redid the tune for the secondary linkage set up, which I may take off also as I've read from others on the Holley forum that couldn't make it work seamlessly also. Based on the unit wasn't designed for it although Holley put the option in the programming for it??
    I definitely need to get some more miles logged on, but will change out linkage before hand (so I guess I just decided to take it off and go from there).

One thing that did happen when I was idling in garage with new tune and lap top synced. I was watching the learn table Learn, then the program froze and wouldn't do anything. So I turned off engine unhooked lap top, hooked up handheld and off I went and did a data log for about 1/2hr of driving on the return trip. uploaded data log to sniper program, but I have no idea what I'm looking at.

4. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Me neither! Trying to learn. They say to run the data logs in short bursts as the long ones are too hard to read. Say 30 seconds at a time.

If you know you can reliably reproduce the issue you want to capture plan your data logging so you catch it in that smaller window. Capture data in pieces if you want to see what is going on at idle, or cruise, or WOT or when you start off etc. When it is a really long data log and you ask someone to read it they don't want to try and Wade through a 1/2hr.

Once you get back to a baseline without the progressive linkage and the inductive delay set right you can send some data logs to Holley as well if you are having problems and they will review them. You need to send the config file you were using at the time along with any data logs you send to people for review so they can compare your settings to results.

Stick with it. Once it is sorted out you will be loving it.

FWIW, I put a TKO transmission in and one of the best things I did along with fuel injection. It basically runs just like my super T-10 but that overdrive totally changes the game at highway speeds. Makes it way more pleasurable to drive.

5. db468

db468 New Member

Also if your on facebook there is a group page dedicated to the sniper some awesome info and very knowledgable people on there.
    Holley Sniper Efi Owners and Tech.