Good customer service, but you won't like where.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Dec 6, 2018 at 8:47 PM.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    I know everybody here hammers on "Vatozone". They did right by me. Yesterday, I went to go to work and the Escalade barely started. I go to work okay but when i went to leave, I had to get a jump start and it took quit a while to build enough charge to start. I got home, checked the battery with a volt meter and it was good at rest and was charging okay when the engine was running. It has a Duralast Gold battery in it from a previous owner. The battery was made in February of 16. I've noticed the cruise control kept kicking out and I had to resume a lot. Okay, bad switch. Went to Autozone to have the battery checked. The charging looked good. I went ahead and got a new switch since I was there and it wouldn't start.

Anyway, they jumped me and got me going and then the manager said it might be under warranty. If I knew the information of who bought the battery, they could look it up. An old registration was in the overhead bin and I dug it out. There were about 10 people in one town with that name and he went through all of them. About #7, there was the 2000 Cadillac Escalade. The battery had a 3 year replacement warranty. He swapped the batteries and even pulled my old one and put the new one in. I've dealt with battery warranties in the past and they usually give you fits trying to do it. He saved me about $160 plus tax.

2. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Did they also try to sell you an 02 sensor and some Lucas fuel treatment while you were there? :D

3. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I guess they cornhole enough people into "mechanic in a can" they can afford to give batteries away LOL.

sal70ss likes this.
  4. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Irrelevant Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Yeah, I'd say that's a fairly rare occurrence at the Zone. The manager may be very "business" oriented. Basically, if this good deed temps you to return and buy something...he sees it as a success.

5. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Sugar Land, Texas
    I don't use autozone much but their Duralast Gold batteries always worked for me. Even the 84 month variety. Only had to use warrnaty once on a 4 yr old battery and they switched to a new with no questions.
    BTW that was about 10 yrs ago and I was broke and only had one vehicle and the autozone was walking distance.
    And yes the customer service is a big thing.
    I use an O'Reilly's now that is a little bit out of the way and I pass a newer built O'Reilly's on the way. I go the old one because of the counter people there.. great service and good recommendations from the staff there. They also let me know of any discounts or rebates available.

6. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Aug 1, 2012
    oak lawn, illinois
    It’s actualky Autozone’s policy to swap out batteries, wipers, & headlights if you buy it from them, so essentially he just did his job.

7. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Kudos to O'Reilly's.
    I Recently went into O'Reilly's in search a pair of replacement gas charged lift supports for an old tonneau cover. Brandon, the counter person went above and beyond researching the correct lift for my old no name cover. I'v found that most of the people at our local O'Reilly's will put in the extra effort to help a customer. Additionally their return policy is very lenient.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 9:29 AM
  8. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    It's the people in the store not the name on the door that makes the location, good or bad.

tom3 likes this.
  9. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

I didn't get anybody trying to sell me an O2 sensor and they know better than to sell me Lucas. As for the battery, I didn't buy the original. He found the warranty from the original purchaser. That's what impressed me. There's an O'Reilly's next door and an Advanced just down the street.

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  10. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    My last full time job was as a territory manager for an ACDelco, Motorcraft and Mopar warehouse distributor.

We handled both ACD and MTC batteries. If the date code on the battery showed it was within warranty period - no receipt or proof of purchase was needed. With proof of purchase, the warranty was good from the date of purchase, regardless of date code.

Not sure why the Autozone manager had to look up a sale to document the battery was still under warranty when the factory date code clearly showed it was.