Good customer service, but you won't like where.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Dec 6, 2018 at 8:47 PM.

1. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Aug 1, 2012
    oak lawn, illinois
    That’s Autozone warranty policy, everything is phone number/name based. The one I worked at, we’d regularly have guys trying to bring in junkyard duralast batteries to try to get a new one.
    It’s actually one of the smarter things they did.

2. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    I had a good experience at Advance a few weeks ago. i put headers on my Monte Carlo, and i just couldnt massage the one line to where it wasnt up against the header. They were stainless lines, and my god...kudos to whoever it was before me that was able to bend them. Anyways, i walk in and ask "do you have any transmission lines?" Without the typical "for what kind of car", or even looking at his computer, he said, yeah....come on back. He probably was also able to figure out by looking at me all cruded up that i also knew they didnt come "pre bent", so we didnt even have to go down that road.

3. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Aug 1, 2012
    oak lawn, illinois
    ^^^^thats the type of store I worked at.
    Some of the guys were parts slingers for 20 yrs. we had 9 guys, all but 1 guy was ASE (HS student) and we were all gearheads.
    That same store now doesn’t even know where product is located & I have to tell them where when I ask for it, or how to look it up to find it.

4. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Irrelevant Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    How many people....managers included...who work in retail auto parts chains simply "do their job" anymore?

Actually had one Autozone manager try to sleeze his way out of replacing a battery under warranty. Kept insisting it just needed to be put on a "trickle charge" for a few hours....and also insisted my vehicle had a parasitic drain. He obviously assumed I was stupid since...after all, somebody wearing a truck driver uniform is not mechanically inclined. 1st thing I did was rule out the vehicle being the culprit. The battery had a bad cell...it WAS that simple.

Thank GOD for online ordering and in-store pickup. The less I have to interact with some of these people, the better.

1972_Z-28 and Knuckle Dragger like this.
  5. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Date codes don't lie. I'd be surprised if guys are finding junkyard batteries with fresh enough date codes that would still be in warranty (unless they were physically damaged - thus the warranty would be void anyway).

6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I'm just curious which store it was. Was it the one where all the counter guys have prison face tats or the one where the kid starts and finishes every sentence with "ya brah"?

I go to the box parts stores as a last resort. I use my work vendors (and I look the numbers up myself) or wait on mail order. This way I get BS no attitude and the most frustrating thing of all, I don't have to sit in line listening to some moron parts guy giving outlandish advice to some poor sucker dumb enough to think because it's a parts store the self glorified retail sales clerk knows ANYTHING about how the car works.

Did that come off angry.......I think that came off angry.........

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    KD

I think you gave a fair representation of the reality of the "box" stores...

8. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

Wash the battery and then 10 minutes with a hair dryer and you can pull the sticker off a good battery and put on it. As for the advice I get there, I did have one guy (who no longer works there) telling me it doesn't matter if you get finger prints on the bulb, it won't hurt it. Later on, he kept telling me you have to disconnect the positive cable first to avoid shorts. That's when I started in on him. My first question was "How do you still have your eyebrows?" Generally, the folks there know at least something about cars.

9. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Most of the guys at the retail side of the box parts stores couldn't tell a roller cam from a roller skate.

Luckily, I'm in the same boat that Dave is in and I can use my wholesale work vendors for parts I need. On the occasions that I do have to use a box store, the Advance near my shop has a commercial counter staffed by guys my age that have been doing this for a while, so I know I'll get the right part the first time..... I avoid the retail counter at all costs.

10. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    That might work, but most batteries that I'm awar of also have a date code stamped in to the case. Besides - if you do have a good battery from the same manufacature with a sticker - why would you want to void the warranty on your good battery by peeling the sticker off?