Good deal on new 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 LS engines

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Displaced Hokie, Dec 25, 2009.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Something always makes you wonder "why" is it so cheap....:)

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If he used a 4th gen tank I bet it was quite a hackjob

3. badazz81z28

Are they metal or plastic?

4. LSXZ28

LSXZ28 Veteran Member

both - I believe its the 98's that are metal and the 99 and up are plastic...

5. badazz81z28

:cool:

6. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Isn't the 4th gen tank triangular (or am I thinking 3rd gen)? Hack job indeed...

I think my easiest fuel tank option is making a spacer for the "trunk hump" and using the Spectra GM42BFI tank from Rock Auto for 70-73s. $445, pump/sender already installed.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  7. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

OK, I know this is off topic for this thread but just why can't you put an electric pump on the stock pickup. That is all the new stock pumps have. Just make sure it sits on the bottom of the tank, pull the sock filter, attach the new pump with the filter on the bottom, run the wires up and out thru a drilled hole on the top of the sender. Seal the hole with a fuel resistant epoxy...done...and for about $60-$90 (bought one today). Use the Corvette filter with the return. Why won't that work?
    [​IMG]

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LPE&Category_Code=C75

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  8. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

FI setup won't tolerate the pump suction coming uncovered for any length of time (seconds). Stock tank has no baffle or fuel tray inside to hold fuel around the base of the pump. The factory FI sending units I've seen have a support for the pump to hold it in place.
    Plus, the sending unit hole on my '80 tank is tiny- a real PITA to try and stuff a pump down that hole.

You can do an external Walbro inline pump if you want a simple/cheap setup, and keep enough fuel in the tank to prevent the factory pickup from getting uncovered. That would probably work for most occasions.

9. LSXZ28

LSXZ28 Veteran Member

Yep, if you look at how a 4th gen pump is in the tank, it is in a bucket that keeps fuel around the suction under all conditions. TanksInc has come up with a similar setup to use in a stock 2nd gen tank - search on here and you'll find some threads...

I'm taking the inline Walboro route, but I'm going to use a new tank and put a Jegs sump on it (that adds baffles and lowers the pickup)... or the other thought I had was to just put a cell in the trunk, but that loses the trunk space...

10. LSXZ28

LSXZ28 Veteran Member

Actually, I just did some looking - I thought the 4th gen tank was pretty much rectangular - here is a pic... doesn't look like it would be too hard to strap that in...

[​IMG]

Biggest obstacle I see is the filler neck comes out the side - thats a problem...

That one is plastic and is $125 on tech if anyone is interested...