Good deal viper t56?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 7.62fmj, Jan 14, 2019.

1. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Veteran Member

Howdy y'all,
    You may have seen my 2004r post from the other day, but long story short my th350 is dead. I want od gears and am planning an eventual engine swap so I want the capacity for more power. I've been toying with the idea of a manual swap for a bit now and I came across a 96 viper t56 with 15k miles on it. Supposedly needs 3rd gear synchro work, seller wants 1k for it. Is this a decent deal or am I asking for trouble?

Link: https://www.racingjunk.com/Manual-T...IPER-TRANS.html?category_id=1262&np_offset=40

1980RS likes this.
  2. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

15k miles and already has synchro issues? Something smells, be careful and do your homework on this one before forking over your money. I have beat on mine pretty good and it shifts great at high rpm and under 10-12psi of boost.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

After you spend $1500+ to rebuild it that new magnum started looking good

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I agree, most VIPER owners don't drive their car so only have 15K miles isn't shocking however to be having transmission issues at 15K is weird...I wonder if its not a transmission problem (Clutch/Slave etc.)

BL: People are asking too darn much money for T56s. Back in 2004 I bought a 10-15K mile LS T56 out of a 2002 for $900 and that was shipped to my door! The price of the Magnum is going up!!! Its over $3K now. I prefer the tail housing of the Magnum for swaps, but the Viper T56 can be made to work and I like the gear ratios better. Call a reputable trans shop and get some quotes...I know some people can rebuild and upgrade it and it will probably come in and slightly less than a new magnum. If nothing is broke, you can probably save $500 over a new one.

5. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Veteran Member

That's what's making me hesitant... I was reading John's thread and the cars not a fault so I can piece together parts as I can afford.

I was thinking I might be able to get him diwn to 750 or so since the ad has been up for a bit and is expiring soon.

There's no way to tell if it's a synchro or something else without tearing it apart right?

6. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

All he can say is no, and just call a couple of shops and get there ideas of expense , or check online for rebuild videos

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I'm a firm believer in a gentlemen's agreement too. If the seller believes it just a synchro...get that in writing and agree if its more than that he will take it back and give you back your money. Or Take $750 and you won't be seen again....

Do keep in mind...some of the internals like gears MAY be discontinued....Just check and make sure. Do all your homework first.

8. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Veteran Member

Sent the seller this message, we'll see what he says.

Hi, I'm contacting you about the t56 you have advertised. Are you willing to negotiate price? I'm interested, but leery of a low mileage trans that's already chewing up synchros. If you can guarantee a return if I have it torn down and there's more issues I can pick it up this week.

9. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

asking for a guarantee on a used part like that would get a person removed quite quickly from my garage

that's insulting just to ask

if a guy wants a guarantee BUY A NEW ONE

turbobuick likes this.
  10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

^^^what he said. used part, buyer beware