Good deals on transmissions

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Speed Happy '77, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Speed Happy '77

Speed Happy '77 Veteran Member

I want to spend less than $1,000 total swapping out to a transmission with overdrive. Right now, I have the Muncie 4-speed, so it's 1 to 1 with a 2.73 rear axle ratio.

I've found a T-56 as cheap as $1300. Anyone know of any better price I can find? Already tried the local wrecking yard.

If I could just get some good info., I'd appreciate it. I'm pretty much looking for:
    A) Overdrive
    B) Under 1K
    C) Not a highly complicated installation

I plan to mate it to a mild 327 (headers, mild cam, polished and ported medium compression heads, turboflow dual exhaust). Oh, and I'm looking for driving gears, not drag or street/stock. It's not fun to know you own a Camaro and drive a Camry.

2. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I ran a World class T5 from a 3rd gen in my 2nd gen behind a pretty hot EFI 327. WIth a mild 327 you are probably not going to break a T5. The 0.63:1 OD that some of the T5s got (TBI cars) had me cruising around 1600-1800 rpms with 3.73s

3. dsherw00d

dsherw00d Member

You are probably better off looking for a setup with a manual throw out bearing. T56s except for maybe the early ones have hydraulic clutches. It's more complicated and expensive to fit these to older cars. Not going to happen for $1000. T56s can be found cheaper occasionally, but you don't know what you are getting. You will need the complete setup - not just the tranny.

Autogear makes a Muncie M21Y that has a .859 4th gear and a 1:1 3rd gear. It's $1800, but will be a direct bolt in to what you have now.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You won't find a working T56 for under $1200 unless you get super lucky. Cores go $500+. Plus you'll spend a minimum of $600 just to install the t56. Search this forum for t56 or t-56 for different methods. All involve some work & cutting.

You might be able to get 4th swapped in your current trans to an OD ratio cheaper than $1k. An OD with a 2.73 rear is probably not going to be useful except over 65 mph (or more).

IMO save your nickles, get an OD trans later and new rear gears. Faster & better mpg.

5. Speed Happy '77

My freeway cruise is at about 2200-2300 RPMs. I'd practically be saving the money in gas mileage. I'm willing to swap out the rear gears for sure.

I have a question about that, actually. From a 3rd Gen. Z-28 ('82), what's interchangeable to a 2nd Gen.? I'm mainly curious about the rear differential (3.73 posi) and anything else I might be able to use to pump up my '77.

6. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

A cruise rpm of 2200-2300 with a 327 isn't bad at all, if anything that probably should be your target cruise rpm. Any lower rpm and it'll probably be pretty gutless. Unless you want to go with deep gear like 4.10, you won't gain much.

Only thing that will swap from 3rd to second gen is the engine (with harness, ect.) transmission, and the front seats. Third/forth gen 7.5" rear ends are complete junk, and should be avoided like a leper.

7. Speed Happy '77

It's got a 305 right now. I should have said that in the beginning. If I take out the tranny, I figure I might as well get a real engine in there. I have a 327 lined up really cheap.

Call me crazy, but I still want to cruise under 2,000 RPM, so if I could get suggestions for the goal I want to accomplish, please, I'd appreciate it.