Good Rx Drug Coupon

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, May 13, 2019.

1. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

With my supplemental insurance changing, (from New York State to Humana) all my prescriptions are covered except one - Cyclosporine. I started to dig around last night and came across this Good Rx. Anyone ever use this?

2. Thomas Clark

Thomas Clark Member

My company changed insurance this year from Blue Cross / Blue Shield to United Health.
    United Health Sucks and all of our prescription prices went up, and in some cases by huge amounts, so we started using Good RX.
    So far I have to say that we are happy with Good RX.
    It all out of pocket, but the prescriptions are almost half price of what they would be under United Health.

3. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've had really good luck going on the manufactures website and getting copay assistance. Never used Good Rx

4. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

i was blown away when i went to get a prescription, i used a drug store i never used before, so they didnt have my insurance on file. The medication was $110 before insurance, and $10 after insurance. Blue cross. i never thought the benefit for prescriptions was that extreme.

5. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

We had United Health Care for 6 months last year and went back to Blue Cross.

Rx’s that were covered under BCBS were $300 with UHC.

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

In the last 15 months, I went from Blue Cross (my former employers coverage) to UHC (my wife's employer's coverage)in April of '18 and then to my UCare medicare supplement as of February 1st of this year.

Blue Cross copays were lower than UHC, but I now have my prescriptions filled via mail order through ExpressScripts with UCare and my copays dramatically reduced. For all but one of my generic prescriptions I pay $6.00 for a 90 day supply. The expensive generic one is $20 for a 90 day supply.

My insulin is not generic. But for some reason it's on the formulary for UCare and the generic isn't. I just started an insulin regimen for the 1st time since being diagnosed as diabetic about 20 years ago (diet, exercise and oral meds previously).

I was nervous about how much insulin would cost based on all the media coverage on insulin for diabetics. I paid $280 for my initial supply - which looks like it might actually last me close to a year based on my actual usage. The other name brand items are One Touch Verio diabetic test strips - I get 300 for under $18.00 (that's a fraction of what UHC charged) and then the BD pen needles for my Lantus pen are under $30.00 for 100.

As to GoodRX, when I asked my old pharmacy about it - they told me I was better off using my current provider (at the time Blue Cross). I probably should have checked again while I was briefly under UHC and I noticed my copays rise, but didn't bother.

I may check on the cost of my BD pen needles through GoodRX to see if that saves me anything. But at a cost of $.30 per day currently, I can afford them either way...

7. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

I have used goodrx for a few years. No complaints.

8. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Initially, the Cyclosporine was $10 for 90 days. Then it went up to $100. This was through CVS. I contacted CVS/Caremark and the med was shipped to me - total cost was $5. I've tied into Humana and all my meds are paid for except this one and the cost is brutal in comparison. That's why I'm attempting to determine what the low cost alternative my be.

9. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cyclosporine is $97 at Walmart. It is available in a Generic. Now, this drug has a very narrow therapeutic window, and minor dosage changes are clinically significant. This is why most Doctors prescribe branded versions. However, if the dosage is upped a bit, the Generic should be just fine even if the dose is a tad low. Shop the Pharmacies. You would be amazed at the price variations. COSTCO has some very good prices, too. I've found drugs can be cheaper if I pay in cash vs putting it through insurance. Insurance has negotiated rates...and the drug can drop in price bu that contract price stays in effect for years, so you are paying against the old price and the contracted co-pay.

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I agree U H, they do suck. I had them when I worked for a car dealership. Had to drop my Blue cross to go with them paid through the dealer plus my 749.00 every 2 weeks. I got the Silver plan. They denied medications so many times. It was a constant battle.