Greatful Racer Friend

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Jul 11, 2019.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I have a racer friend that I have known since the 70's, he is big into the NHRA scene and I have been helping him out with his peanut port project and other things by loaning him the right items to get to his goal with the car. Now he calls me yesterday and says he has some parts I can have. I told him jokingly that I don't any LS stuff and that got a good chuckle from his as that what he is using for his next SS/GT car. So I have to go over and get a 482 4 bolt main block, steel crank 454 and a pair of closed chamber heads plus some other stuff. I was blown away by his generosity, now I have to find a place to put the stuff as it's getting packed at my place. I never though loaning out some carbs and intakes meant so much to him. Can't wait to see his car run a 10 sec. time with his new found power this year.

2. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

That 482 would be nice in your RS???

3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

So I picked up the block, heads and cranks plus a bunch of other stuff. The block will need to be bored and honed but it sonic tested good so if I use it that would be .125 over. The heads are bare but they are a bathtub CC heads, bare but would work on a flat top motor great. I will make use of the steel crank. He is a great guy, he even got my cracked intake welded for me that he is using. Was surprised that the Strip Dominator fit under a flat Camaro hood. I have been pushing him to get his car ready to race. Need to see it in the 10's with a peanut port engine. I still have stuff for him to test.

muscl car likes this.
  4. xten

xten Veteran Member

That's really great when someone is appreciative. Not that you would expect anything in return, but just to know that he appreciates the things you do for him. I'm sure you will make an effort to find room for your newly acquired treasures. lol. Let us know when he makes a 10 sec pass.

1980RS likes this.
  5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Got to see his 69 Camaro close up yesterday, we are hoping for the 10's he has 567hp to get the job done. Lots of little tricks on those legal cars. Loved the 2 weight bars in the back to get the car to pitch and roll so he can hook up 9" slicks. I know one thing I will be adding to my car, some adjustable shocks and new springs. Our friend Randy Mans knows everything about every shock out there so that's who I will be asking. Randy is the man, he has gone a long way in drag racing since we went to high school together.

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Suspension is often overlooked. If you know someone that's good with it, get all the info you can. Pick his brain. Ask about instant center and weight transfer. Adjustable shocks are a must. Some of the tricks used in the stock classes are amazing. Always get a kick out of hearing what these guys do, if they're nice enough to share their secrets with you.