green bondo?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by daniel76309, Jun 24, 2006.

1. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have noticed on the tv show what appears to be a light green body filler. Does anyone know what that is? Is that superior to the pink bondo that I am familiar with? I mean, pink is cool, but...

2. ChillPhatCat

ChillPhatCat Veteran Member

I've used "Bondo Hair" which is green before you mix it with the hardener, it's bondo with fiberglass resin and fiberglass strands added in... mostly good for covering gaps and higher stress areas. It's much harder to work with though, so I wouldn't use it for more than it's intended use.

The pink color of regular bondo is caused by the hardener though, so maybe you're seeing a different color hardener being added to the bondo.

3. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's called Evercoat Gold (different company than Bondo). The filler is yellow, the hardener is blue.

4. AceZ28_OVERKILL

AceZ28_OVERKILL Veteran Member

A lot of FINISH muds are light green, also called metal glaze... Sands easier, and can be sanded out without leaving an ege where the filler stops and the metal begins...

5. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for the replies. Whatever it is, they seem to be spreading it out over a large area, moreso than I would expect with all the metal work they seem to take pride in.

6. Paint Fumes

Paint Fumes Veteran Member

Lots of fillers turn green when mixed with blue hardener. Spreading it out over a large panel isn't a bad thing to do as long as it's not too thick. It's called skim coating and it's done to get a panel totally wave free.

7. nrjulin

nrjulin Veteran Member

8. airzemee

airzemee Veteran Member

yah.. a real good honest to god restoration shop will not use fillers like this.. they will take years on end to make that metal thats there perfect. SHows like overhaulin are seen doing this lots cause they only have a week or whatever.. Impossible to do metal work perfectly in that amount of time. When used right filler isnt a bad thing. I still dont like putting it over a HUGE area like on some of those shows. On overhauling it looks like they do a good job metal working it to put new panels and such. but thats not the finish. metal work finishing is whats time consuming even moreso. I should take pics of my project panel for when i was in school. Its a 24 by 24 inch square of flat steel.. I had to make a perfect dome shape in the metal using only a dolly, pick, and file. it took 2-3 weeks to do that alone. Granted it was my first time doing it and a pro could do it faster. but it still takes ALOT of time.