Grooves in Combustion Chamber?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by hardline_42, Mar 14, 2006.

1. hardline_42

hardline_42 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was browsing the web and I came across a website that talked about cutting grooves on the quench surface of your heads. It's supposed to increase turbulence in the chamber for better quench and higher CR's without detonation. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Here's the link to the guy who developed the patent (yeah, it's patented) for it:

http://somender-singh.com/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  2. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    Interesting AND my first thoughts reading the "speel" was, "I wonder what it would do to help a flathead??".

He, He!! My flathead B&S lawnmower engine comes to mind!! Sucker might run on kerosine????

Anyway, they put dimples in chambers as well as have made "ramped" pistons so why not try it... New, fast-burn, heart shaped chambers as well as "torque" peanut shaped ones..

BUT I could see that notch being a great place for a crack to start IF it isn't radius'ed right and such.......

pdq67

3. hardline_42

hardline_42 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'll try that with a set of junk heads first just to compare. It makes sense but then again so does a lot of stuff I read! I think if you finish the groove of with a fine round needle file it would resist cracking.

4. sandboxbob

sandboxbob Veteran Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Florence, Arizona, USA
    I know back in the day, on domed pistons, some guys would cut, what was called a "fire slot" in the center of the crown. Sometimes it was beneficial, sometimes not.

5. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cracking- and plugging up would be the main problems. Why would a groove in the head be any less inclined to clog up than a spark plug? It wouldn't- so I'm thinking if this does work- it might be only temporarily.

6. rebski

rebski Veteran Member

Sharp edges create hot spots. Hot spots enhance detonation.
    In full tilt race engines I spend lots of time smothing out all burrs and sharp edges. Others use special coatings to acheive the same thing .

something to think about my 2 cents :bowtie:

7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Never seen this on any factory or aftermarket heads, and I'm real sure they have spent millions to perfect those designs. I'll pass on this mod.

8. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    Add the groove carb spacer and you can whoop John Force on any given Sunday:screwup:

9. 78LT383

78LT383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Princeville, IL USA
    Don't forget to install a tornado in your air intake duct.