G's '72 Z28 Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Hey G, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Well, I finally decided to replace the old el-cheapo brake pads I had on the front of my car. Originally, I couldn't decide what pads to install when I put the car back together, so I had used the same pads that came off the car...they looked like some generic parts store pads. They worked ok and made the car stop, but they started squeaking and brake dust was horrible. So...I decided to make the switch to some nice Hawk pads. I read a lot of good stuff on here about them. After visiting the Hawk site, I decided to get the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads.

My brakes are basically stock so I didn't need anything too crazy. The only mods to my system is the hydraboost booster from an Astro van and a Wilwood adj prop valve. I will say this, after installing the new pads and bedding them in properly...they do grab a lot better than those el-cheapo pads that I had...and they squeak a lot less. Also, I actually made a small adj to the prop valve because the fronts would lock up way quicker with new pads. All in all, I happy with the new pads and the way the system is working now. I think the factory disc/drum brake combo does a pretty good job for a street car.

G

2. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

shanghai Kid likes this.
  3. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

4. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Well, I have decided to upgrade some hardware on the engine. The engine is out of a '99 Suburban, but it's the Vortec (gen I style) 350. The engine was rebuilt but the rockers and associated hardware were not replaced. So I took advantage of some time off and installed some new rockers. I selected the Comp Cams roller tip rockers...1.5 ratio, steel, and self-aligning. I didn't want to spend too much so I just got roller tip part number 1417-16. I am very happy with the new rockers...the valve train is nice and quiet.

Also, something else I want to pass on is the new valve cover gaskets. I was not satified at all, with the Fel-pro rubber gaskets for the vortec heads. I found a new style fel-pro gasket, it's a laminated cork and metal gasket, part number FEL-1648. It does not have to be stretch and be glued on the valve cover every time. They fit very nicely into the groove on the valve and they don't flop around like a wet noodle when installing. Also, they are almost .250" thick, so they should seal well. Anyway, I just installed them tonight and they fit great...hopefully they will seal up.

[​IMG]

5. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

The new rocker arms are working great. I removed the covers and re-checked the valve lash...adjusted the #7, it was a little tight. Then I easily re-installed the valve covers and the new gasket...and they are leak free.

G

6. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

very nice work ..love the blue ..I am going with a mid-nite blue

7. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Thanks, can't go wrong with blue.

8. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Update...

I have been driving the old car as much as possible, it's running good. Recently, I have been trying to fix a vibration problem. The first thing I replaced was the transmission mount, I read where someone had an alignment issue due to the energy suspension trans mount. However, it did not fix the problem and the difference in the mount height was only about 1/16...so I doubt that caused the issue.

Next, I checked for axle run out...I had installed some used oe axles when I rebuilt the diff. I found the driver's side within an acceptable limit, but the passenger side had about .025" at the flange...so that was a red flag. Out with the axles. So I purchased some new ones from US Standard Gear, just oe style, and they seem very nice and well made from a machining standpoint. Well, the new axles def made some improvement, but the car still was not right.

So...I checked the wheels for run out...and it turns out one wheel had a hell of a wack on it, I didn't see it when I bought them and the tire shop didn't notice either. Next, I decided to look for some type of GM aluminum factory wheel that would look good on the car. I settled on the mid-eighties Camaro/Z28 five spoke aluminum 15" wheels (I think 15" look best on these cars). So I decided to stop by the local LKQ yard and just look around. After about 30 minutes of wandering, I found a '93ish f-body with 4...yes all four, 85 style Camaro wheels. I know what you're thinking...how in the hell. Well, as it turns out the person who installed the wheels used some nice splined lug-nuts and no one could get them off. I laughed out loud...literally. Then I proceeded to try all my sockets and found one...17 mm...that fit and was able to remove the bastard lug-nuts.

About one hundred and twenty five dollars later I had my wheels. I cleaned them up and had them installed. I must say the car rides so much better now. Also, those original '72 5-spoke steel wheels were heavy as hell...bonus. Anyway, here's a few pics and I installed my dash, finally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy.

G

9. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Me too!

Hey G likes this.
  10. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

um all this and no overall shot of the car!!!

Hey G likes this.