Handloaders and/or shooters/ hunters

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by jeff swisher, Aug 3, 2018.

1. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I heard that about Texas. Too bad really.
    Yep you need the AO if you crank the power up. seems to hit smaller groups anyway for me.

I like cheaper scopes ..but they must hold zero and not fail me and Tasco has treated me very well and some of the older Centerpoint scopes made for air rifles. I have one Centerpoint on my 30-06 and it never moved in 10+ years. The new centerpoints I tried sucked.. shadows and reflections in the glass.
    Bushnells and the bass pro pursuit both died early deaths. Like 30 rounds and shook the guts out of them

I was cleaning the garage today and found this from my drop testing.

300 001.JPG

I am pretty sure the load is 8208XBR powder and 155 A-Max in winchester or Lapua cases.
    That scope was the 6-24x40 Tasco target varmint.
    I measured the 3 shot group at 1.260" at 300 yards.. that was the normal for that .308 right around 1.250" at 300 yards.
    I just could not get any tighter than that.. maybe that bullet runout was killing me.
    Good enough that I hunt turkeys with rifle and shoot them at 200-275 yards.
    We have a turkey fall gun season and in some counties a centerfire rifle is legal to use.
    Not really hunting as much as sniping them off. But it's food on the table.
    And you can't roost shoot them. That is not sporty anyway.
    There are many fields here 800 or more yards across on public land. Well a few trees here and there in the fields.

So long shooting can happen. There is a clear cut pipeline near the red river that I bet is over 2000 yards long.
    I have walked and hunted it a few times and got deer, squirrel and hogs from it.
    The drag back is not fun. No vehicles allowed.

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

The most expensive scope I have is a 4 x 18x Red Field 5 star. Very good scope, has really good light gathering capacity. I must say after working at the gun range & looking through expensive scope's they do have some nice optics, very clear & in focus from edge to edge an when you move it 2 or 3 clicks that's where the bullet goes. Cheaper scopes won't do that, you can't relay on the clicks them selfs to move point of impact to where you want it but they do hold where you want it to once you fiddle around with it. People use to get mad at me cause I could shoot there rifle better than them mostly cause I used lots of sand bags, they didn't. Then again they didn't shoot as much as I did, I'd shoot every Saturday for many years, the range only had 100yd targets, I got board after 5 or 6 yrs. Only worked on Saturday for 12 yrs. and they paid me with cash which was nice. That money went into my 78 Z28 cause it's a endless money pit. I quit a few years ago, don't miss it to much except having cash in my pocket.
    Bracken rifle / pistol range

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    jeff swisher likes this.
  3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

That is what I miss about the local ranges only go out to 100 yards, While I was trained in the Marine Corps to shoot out to 500 meters with iron sights. I have hunted for deer with my Marlin 30-30 with open sites.And my Remington 700 BDL 30-06 for deer and elk.in the Cascades.I decided to quit years ago after almost getting shot twice.Even though I was wearing an orange vest and hat. Too many idiots out there anymore. I do occasionally go the range occasionally.And put the money hunting into my 1979 Z-28 RS.

4. jeff swisher

Yea it would suck to be shot at while hunting.
    I am glad I live here and have the places provided to us by the wildlife department to hunt.
    I have been out many times and seen no one.

I did score 160 lbs of soft lead the other day.. sure makes reloading less expensive.
    I can make pistol ammo for about 3 bucks for 50 rounds.
    My 30-06 powder puff loads are 170gr cast lead gas checked at 1400 fps propelled by 11.5gr of red dot.
    I have rang 18"x18"steel at 500 yards with them.
    Well not a ring but a small thud.
    That was a lot of hold over.

Nothing wrong with spending money on your ride.
    Gotta do it.
    I love going fast and takes money to do it.

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Here in San Antonio we have a rifle range that has 200yd targets but that's about it. There is a Army base, Camp Bullis an they have 500yd targets but you have to be on a membership with them. I've shot at 300 yds at our deer lease range a lot an was so what successful at that but it takes a bit of scope adjustment to get it right. Deer hunting in Texas on private land is a totally different story. Your assign a area to hunt on depending on the size of the land your able to us to hunt on. If the hunting lease is for 1000 acres you might have 200 acres to your self with 5 other hunter's & yes you do pay to hunt with no guarantees of seeing deer. No one else will be on your 200 acres. Your responsible for deer blinds to hunt from & deer feeders which is aloud in Texas. I would usually use 2 deer feeders spread about 200 yds apart feeding 2 times a day mostly throwing corn. I built my own blind an had them in a oak tree, 10 to 15 ft high.Deer would usually show up just as the sun went down which only gave you about 1/2 hour of legal hunting time. You had better have a scope that could gathered light fairly well cause it's getting dark very fast, that's when I made 80% of my kills. I had a lot of success hunting in the afternoon not so much in the morning. Shot a lot of deer with my Weatherby Vanguard .280 rem Redfeild 5 star.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  6. jeff swisher

.280 Rem is an excellent round right there with 30-06 and advantage slightly to the .280.
    Should be able to fill the freezer with that if they allow you multiple deer harvest.
    If I hunt all seasons and do the holiday anterless doe I can harvest 7 deer total.
    A smaller say 80 lb field dressed will produce between 25 and 30 lb of boneless meat.
    You really don't get much.
    So i like to hunt on the cheap. take food and take a tent or sleep in the car or go somewhere close.
    Closest place here is 50-60 miles.

Nice to have a 200 yard range.Breckenridge is in Texas and it is a public range as far as I know and goes out to 1000 yards.
    One day I will join the guys at handloadersbench and go there for a 2 day 1 night stay and shoot gathering.

I hear you on a good scope for evening shooting.
    We looked through many scopes one evening and to our surprise this little fixed 4x tasco 32 mm won the evening light gathering.
    I suppose exit pupil was much larger.
    even the 3-9x40 tasco was not as good.
    This was pure dark at 10:30 PM with one light at 200 yards just barely shining on the open hill top.
    The light was in the pump house keeping the interior warm and the little bit of light escaping from the seams in the pump house is what was seen.
    But view point was 50 yards from the pump house to the right and 200 yards from us.

Another odd ball was my old centerpoint 4-16x40 vs my 3-9x40 buckmaster. the centerpoint edged it out.
    Just slightly clearer with 2 of us swapping the gun and scope back and forth.. looking down a river bank after dark.

I bet a Monarch scope or something along those lines should do very well.

7. 7NOVA5

7NOVA5 New Member

I Like my rcbs rock chucker, I"ve been reloading since i was 10. Gets real fun when you start collecting ww2 rifles and you have to 8mm mauser and 7.7 jap out of reformed 30-06, or 8mm hungarian out of 7.62 russian. when .22lr got so high i bought a 55 .22 mold and loaded .223 down to .22 mag power level and ran them through my ar15, surprisingly it cycled the action with only 11gr. or unique. and it cost less then shooting my 10/22 at the time

jeff swisher likes this.