Happy endings are good

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Knucklehead, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

I recently sold the 1977 Camaro that I used as a daily driver from 1986 to about 1996. Just a base model, with a 305/2-bbl and automatic. I prefer stick shift, but bought it when a divorce triggered an immediate need for new wheels. It's hard to describe how good that car was to me. It never failed me in any way, and except for a water pump and an alternator, never needed anything. The trans finally started slipping in high at about 125K, so I got the original one rebuilt by Jasper. It was the date-car for my now-wife and me during our courting period, and we made about a dozen trips to and from DC to Maine in it. With a 2.56 rear axle ratio, it was a great high-speed cruiser.

I have/had three other Camaros (all with stick shift), and it didn't get driven much any more. As I get older, I'm driving all of them less, and came to the conclusion that I needed to thin the fleet. The 77 was the obvious choice as the first one to go. So I ran an ad in Hemmings and got several inquiries. But then I got a call from a man in northern California who simply said "I'll buy your car." He had owned a 77 at one time, sadly sold it, and now wanted another one -- and he wanted to drive it from DC to California. So I made sure the fluids were all topped off, checked the air pressure, and swapped out the mini-spare tire for a full-size rally wheel and tire.

He flew in on the redeye a week ago and showed up at our house at about 10:00 AM. Cash and keys were exchanged, the title was signed, hands were shaken -- and off he went. Five days later I got an email from him letting me know he had made it home. It included the following: "The only problem I had was keeping it under 80. Seemed like everytime I looked down there she was. Thank you again for allowing me to be a part of your memories with your car and I assure you She will be well taken care of as I begin my memories with her."

Happy endings are great.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Smokey15, carr911, Da-bigguy and 7 others like this.
  2. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Hope he joins the site.

3. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

I'll suggest it to him.

4. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

How cool

5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Nice story, glad the old Camaro will get new life. A lot of Camaro's have gone to the graveyard way too early.

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Happy ending for sure. I think your car found a good home. Really great that he even contacted you to tell you he was happy.

7. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your story made me think of all the cars I've sold over the years. They were part of the family. I hope they're all still running and giving their owners as much fun as they gave me

8. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

some of mine made it into the family....but not all of them

9. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

Cool story