Hard starting after fuel system cleaner

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by TheMadDoctor, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes steady at 6 psi the revs are irrelevant, vacuum is constant and floats in the carb can be adjusted if need be. When the bowls are full excess fuel is redirected to the tank.

2. TheMadDoctor

TheMadDoctor New Member

Once again thanks for taking the time to go through this with me. I guess I was thinking about a system without a return line, and no pressure relief, like my last fuel pump. The last time I replaced it, I was 18 years old and didn't know anything about cars. I just bought the cheapest thing they had at the parts store, or I would have bought the most expensive if I had the money. These days, I want the parts that will work best, AC Delco is my favorite brand, but when you're vehicle is outside of OEM specs, you have to do your research. I still don't know everything, so I really do appreciate your help.

I would still have to climb under the car to check if the return line is still connected, but otherwise your fuel pump recommendation is valid. I would have no problem adjusting the carb, Eddys are easy to work on, I just rebuilt it a year ago.

Fun fact, my Eddy ran great for 15 years until I lost a belt on the highway, and the engine overheated. Pulled into work and my temp gauge read 250, then pegged to 0. That was a fun top end rebuild.

3. TheMadDoctor

TheMadDoctor New Member

Well, I just had a chance to climb under the climb under the car, and the return line is connected, but the rubber hoses need replaced on both lines. It doesn't look like anything is leaking, but the feed line rubber hose has shrunken to the point that I can see the humps that are supposed to hold the rubber hose onto the hard line.

4. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

Get a pump designed for your 1979 Camaro. Although it may be the same as a 73 camaro if it has return lines. IDK. My problem was a 400 engine out of a 1979 Scottsdale Chevy truck and I used the truck fuel pump which did not work correctly in the car. I purchased an A/C Delco with the large sump ( pretty much as shown here) and all is good now. designed for a 350 in a 79 camaro. I run a Holley carb. fuel pressure was right around 6 psi if I remember correctly. I dumped the gauge once it ran great

5. TheMadDoctor

TheMadDoctor New Member

**Update**

I purchased the Carter M6101 fuel pump that I have seen others here on the forum recommend, because I do run an Edelbrock carb, and it has the max 6psi output, deep sump, and return line option. Also, It was NAPA branded, and I got it for cheaper than the overseas parts you would find at the generic auto parts stores that didn't have a fuel pump with a return line. I got it for $15 shipped on ebay, and as much as love ACDelco parts, $15 is better than $45.

Now that I have it, my main question is should I prep the return line in some way? The return line hasn't been used in 20 years, and I plan on replacing the old rubber lines, but should I do anything else? I was thinking about spraying some carb cleaner into the lines, and the blowing them out with compressed air. What do you guys think?

6. TheMadDoctor

TheMadDoctor New Member

Update #2

I replaced the fuel pump, but I am still having hard starting problems. It isn't as bad as before, and I don't get the fuel vapors I was getting before the pump replacement, but I still have to crank for about 20 seconds before the car will start. The first day, it started right up, but after that, nope! I bought one of those cheap clear fuel filters, and it is just always empty when I try to start my car. what should I look for next?

7. TheMadDoctor

TheMadDoctor New Member

I'm still having issues with my fuel line draining after sitting for more than six hours. If I open my hood I can see that my fuel filter is empty. When I check all of my new connections I just made, they don't seem to be leaking fuel, but I am worried about the flare fitting that's attached to the fuel pump output. It was kinda stripped, and I had to use vise grips to remove/tighten it. Also, does that connection require teflon tape? I remember reading that flare fittings shouldn't use teflon, but I think I might have a small leak coming from that fitting.

Otherwise, could this be a carb issue? Maybe underhood heat is boiling the fuel in the bowls, and the gasses are pushing the fuel back down the line? When I first installed the new pump, It took about about 35 seconds of cranking to fire up. I smelled gas, and went and checked for leaks, and the old return lines, which had never been used the whole time I have owned the car were leaking everywhere under the passenger door. It was late at night, and I decided to fix them the next day. The next day, the car started right up, and wasn't leaking, but I decided to replace the rubber line just to be safe. After that, the fuel line just drains out, and I have to crank for 20-30 seconds to get the car to start.

8. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

do you have a choke on your carb?

9. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have you tried changing the fuel filter? There’s a good chance the fuel system cleaner flushed crap out of the tank and clogged up the filter.

The glass filters are notoriously Known for having issues. I highly recommend against using one

10. TheMadDoctor

TheMadDoctor New Member

In response to my last two replies: I don't use a choke, never have, that shouldn't create a problem overnight.

As far as the fuel filter is concerned, I replaced that when I replaced the pump. I had a chrome Mr. Gasket filter, but purchased the cheap clear plastic one the parts store had as a stock replacement, because I could check gas flow with it.

There are a few rubber lines right near the gas tank that I didn't have enough extra hose to replace, so I might try replacing those next.