Has anyone driven the 2019 Silverado LT?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Todd80Z28, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm morbidly curious as to what a full size truck with a 2.7l turbo 4 cylinder drives like. I have no intention of buying one, I'm just legit curious as to the driving feel. Some reviews online compare it favorably to the 5.3 in some ways.

2. La.Z8

La.Z8 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I`ve driven the Silverado and the GMC with the 5.3. Didn`t do the 4 cyl version. The 5.3 just doesn`t cut it. I ended up buying.........wait for it.....,{ no not a F^*))&D}, but a 2019 RAM with a Hemi and 3.92`s. So far with 8500 miles no issues and it has power to spare.

flht99b and 72BIGBLOCK like this.
  3. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

^^^^smart man right there.

4. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Won’t see me driving a 4cyl full-size truck. Ever. It’s not that I’m some dumb redneck - just that I tend to USE my trucks as trucks and haul and tow and sometimes end up off the beaten path. I don’t see that half an engine doing what I need in the first place, and then surviving comes into question. IMO those are for the “gottahave a pickup” mall crawler soccer dads.

They have to boost the shot out of it, my interest in seeing how they last is more of a morbid curiosity than anything. 20+ lbs of boost im sure.

I for one would like to see them eliminate that stupid cyl shutdown, and factory boost the 5.3.....now THAT would sell some trucks.

5. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

I should add, I drove a friends ‘18 Sierra crew cab 4x4 5.3. It does ok. Not super impressed with the 8spd trans - always shifting it seems. What really weirds me out is the auto lane correct. Really really don’t like the steering wheel turning on its own while going down the road and getting too close to the center stripe. (Purposely testing out the system)
    Aside from that nice vehicle rides nice, decent power. Comfy seats. The big wheel openings make it appear to sit high.... think the actual ground clearance is closer to that of my alero. Definitely gotta watch the parking curbs and certainly no snowdrift busting abilities.

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I haven't driven one and don't know anyone that has.

But I've got a friend with a 2.7L Ecoboost pickup that loves his truck. Yes, that's a 6 cylinder, but it's the same size as the Silverado's 4 cylinder. The Ford does have an extra 15 HP (325 vs 310).

The GM 2.7L 4 cylinder truck is 380 pounds lighter than with the old 4.3L 6. Add in the extra 25 HP and 43 foot pounds of torque in the "mini motor" and it makes for a much better package.

7. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Max Towing Capacity by Engine
    To get the highest tow ratings for any given engine, you must select the 3.42 axle ratio with the Trailering or Max Trailering packages. Chevy calls the 8-foot bed the long box, the 6.5-foot bed the standard box and the 5.5-foot bed the short box. Here are the top three towing capacities for each engine.

Turbocharged 2.7-Liter Four-Cylinder (310 hp, 348 pounds-feet of torque)

The 2.7-liter's sole transmission is the eight-speed automatic. There are three tow ratings for this engine: 6,700 pounds, 6,900 pounds and 7,000 pounds. The 6,700-pound rating comes with the 4WD double-cab standard box and 4WD crew-cab short box configurations; this is also the lowest tow rating of any Silverado. For the 6,900-pound trailer rating, the 2WD crew-cab short box or the 2WD crew-cab standard box can be selected. To get the 2.7-liter's maximum 7,000-pound rating, pick a 2WD double cab with the standard box.

4.3-Liter V-6 (285 hp, 305 pounds-feet of torque)

The 4.3-liter V-6 is only available with a six-speed automatic transmission and provides towing capacities up to 7,900 pounds in 2WD regular-cab long-box configuration. At 7,700 pounds is the 2WD double-cab standard box and 2WD crew-cab short box, while the third highest rating of 7,600 is available in the 2WD crew-cab standard box.

5.3-Liter V-8 (355 hp, 383 pounds-feet of torque)

The 5.3-liter V-8 can be equipped with either the six-speed or eight-speed autos, but the maximum towing configurations are all with the eight-speed auto and Max Trailering Package. Taking the bronze medal for this engine are the 4WD double-cab standard box and 4WD crew-cab short box at 11,400 pounds. The silver goes to the 2WD crew-cab standard box at 11,500 pounds. Finally, the gold goes to the 2WD double-cab standard box and 2WD crew-cab short box at 11,600 pounds.

6.2-Liter V-8 (420 hp, 460 pounds-feet of torque)

Stepping up to the powerful 6.2-liter V-8 adds the 10-speed auto, and when the Max Trailering Package is chosen, the maximum tow ratings rise into the 12,000-pound range. The third highest rating is exactly 12,000 pounds with the 4WD crew-cab standard box. Next up the ladder is the 4WD crew-cab short box at 12,100 pounds. Taking the top spot is the 4WD double-cab standard box with a 12,200-pound rating.

8. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Surprisingly enough, I haven't driven one. Actually I've only driven V8 mules. But some of the guys I work with drove the 2.7L turbo trucks when they were in development, and said they were competent. I don't think they took them on any long term towing trips, though.

9. La.Z8

La.Z8 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don`t misunderstand me, I love the older GM`s. But GM of today just isn`t the same. For instance the 6.2 is a great engine. Well you can only get it in the top tier Chevy or GMC truck lines....re--$$$$$. Also the 10 speed auto is 1st class, again only available in the top line trucks....re--$$$$ again "Mo-Money". At least F#*+*D had the foresight to put the 10 sp auto in all the truck lines. Yes folks GM & Ford developed the 10 Sp auto together, but Ford puts the cost of the technology to better use. So I`ll step off my soapbox and slide back into the swamp....See Ya.

10. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Nobody is going to mention that the new silverados look like Toyota and Ford had a butt baby? What GM engineer figured it would be a good idea to take the worst design esthetics of every truck out there and smash them together in a grinder? I really try to give these things a fair shake, but every time I see one in the wild my first thought it its a Toyota, then I gag a little.

blk79, Shizzle and gramps like this.