Has anyone driven the 2019 Silverado LT?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Todd80Z28, Oct 4, 2019.

1. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Screwball tailgate is exactly right!! Wtf do I need a tailgate that has 6 ways to break and cost me a few grand for? Tailgates have 2 maybe 3 functions...up to keep a load in, or down to support a longer load or provide a seat/table for lunch and beer thirty. Maybe ford gates need a heater to keep hands warm when pushing but that’s it.

Mike N likes this.
  2. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

i have a 2016 ram 3500 for work. 5 or 6 speed, i kinda forget. i just bought a 2019 Ram 2500 for a co worker. 8 speed trans. shifts too much. same engine, i feel like mine would easily walk away from the 2019. The ride on the 2019 is way better than mine though.

back to chevys latest abortion. Kudos for them for making a truck that looks like a Toyota.

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

So, what you're really saying is that Ford needs a 7 function tailgate just to be equal to the GMC....;)

I loved the mental image that projected...:D

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Tail gates get stolen. We've replaced a few. If no used are available they get new. All in pieces. Can't wait to see how much one of those multi function tail gates cost if bought in parts.

5. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What's the legit use for a split tailgate? I saw that in an ad recently, and I can't think of anything I'd use it for.

I mean- a split fold-down back seat I get- load your cargo, still have a seat for the kid. Split tailgate- load your cargo, and... keep the illegal day laborer riding in the bed safe??:screwup:

Da-bigguy, tom3 and gramps like this.
  6. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

7. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Tailgates have gotten higher due to crash safety regs... they raise the beltline of the cars and trucks to improve performance on safety tests. The beltline is typically the bottom of the window. Thus the top of the truck beds get higher and higher to match the window line
    I think Ford - maybe Ram was the 1st to add a step to the tailgate, then GM took it waaaaay too far.

8. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cant imagine the price on for a replacement one of those but probably not as easy to steal as tailgates used to be. I know the one on my 2017 Sierra locks with the doors on the truck so cant just swing it down and lift it off like you used to be able to.

9. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

if by split tailgate, you mean the one in the Ram commercials that opens like doors and seperates to the sides, I could see a use for if you needed to load something right in the bed and the tailgate made that difficult. Think like an engine on a hoist, with no tailgate, you can get the hoist closer and get the engine right where you want it.