Has anyone installed OER AC vents in lower dash?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by 7dcamaro, Jun 1, 2012.

1. 7dcamaro

7dcamaro Veteran Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Warner Robins, GA
    Just bought the OER AC vents for the right and left side of lower dash. They dont tell you that they do not come as a complete assembly with the chrome lever/knob thats used to open and close the vents so you have to reuse your current ones. My question to those who have done this is how did you attach the lever to the new OER vent? The raised round area on the OER vent where the lever attaches is a little smaller in diameter than the mating area on the lever plus there is no hole for what I'll call a rivet. Even if you drill ahole and make the rivet a tight fit that will be the only thing holding the lever on. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Vsolo

Vsolo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2009
    So Central PA
    are you talking about these ?

[​IMG]

http://www.fbodywarehouse.com/fbw/product.php?productid=1899

Lately these have been showing up on Ebay as copies & they are great. I assume you have a '70 by your screen name, they are worth the money spent
    1970 Camaro Assembly Manual. they usually run about 20 to 25 by the time you add shipping, sometimes it is included & it is like 23 to 25

When my car was being done over, I bought 2 of them, one ofor the shop & one for me (altho I have a 1973)

3. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    I just checked me OER vents and the tabs are on them. They look just like my originals on a 78. They arent chromed knobs though.

4. 7dcamaro

7dcamaro Veteran Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Warner Robins, GA
    Yes, those are the vents Im talking about and yes Ive got a 70 camaro. Can anyone help with how to mount the lever/knob that opens/closes the vents?

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    here is my 73 and no lever to open and close . just a little finger grip thing to shut the louvers . louvers are dash texture on the close side .. are you sure there from a camaro ? all the second gens ive seen look like mine , but maybe its a 70 thing ? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  6. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    i was cruising ebay and found 2 70 camaros with A/C and low and behold , a chrome lever to shut off the air supply . just 1 more thing that was a 70 only thing... as far as grafting them onto the new piece , i couldn't tell you as i can't see the working parts . but here it is ... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  7. Throttle

Throttle Veteran Member Gold Member

Never knew that either..

8. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Interesting. I hadnt seen that before either,

9. ronscam

ronscam Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2011
    bloomsburg,Pa.
    Looks like that would be on the housing for the vent but i'v never seen one before...hmm

10. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Mantweeka, California
    I have always seen that knob but never payed any immediate attention to it.
    I was also looking at new vents mine are for my 71 Camaro no A/C is it worth buying mine aren't broken but just color worn, so basically just for looks I want them...?