Have any of you guys used an air bag type jack?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Knuckle Dragger, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Something like this:

I watched a review of the cheap Chinese eBay stuff and that's a no go but the same guy reviews a Rakjak and that looked good, expensive but serviceable. Any one here have one used one?

And yeah, jack stands every time LOL

2. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Looks pretty cool.
    I wonder how low profile it can get to get under my super low bitchin' Camaro?
    Oh yes. Jack stands. Many jack stands.

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What happens if the bag pops ? No thanks

4. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Air bags are used as suspension on big trucks, so they can withstand a ton of force, but like everything else, theres junk and quality. Ocasionally we do replace airbags, but their service life is pretty long.

We had these airbags at the Fire Co that could lift trains. we never really got to lift anything cool with them, but they are pretty incredible with what they can lift.

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

It seems like it would work----for a while until the air bag leaks like the ones on cars do after a few years. At that point, you would probably wish you had an old hydraulic jack instead.

6. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Same things that happens if your hydraulic jack blows a seal... No matter the type a jack is never meant to be the holding device while you work on a vehicle.

As far as the OP's question I have never used anything like this but could see it being useful on a 4 post lift to lift one corner up to do brake work or something like that.

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Never. Looks cool. I wonder how long the bladder lasts. Down here in Florida rubber breaks down fast due to microbiological attack. So much moisture helps to get the little buggers going. Bike tires barely last a couple years B/C the mold grows so fast if you have to park them out side.

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

When was the last time you saw an older Lincoln on the street that sat at normal height? They are all dragging their bumpers front and rear if they still run, and repairing the airbags costs more than the value of the car.

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not saying these won't leak at some point but the bags on a Lincoln are much thinner, take more abuse and have lots of other parts that help things leak. Kind of like comparing a zoo gorilla to King Kong.

10. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would agree, I had a set of firestone bags on the rear of my 3/4 ton truck for 10 years and never had an issue with them. Also think about how many air bags are running down the road on semis, if they weren't robust those guys wouldn't use them. Plus common applications the bags aren't all that expensive if I remember right. The quality of components used would definitely be the thing to look for if purchasing one of these setups though.