Head+Cam upgrade Suggestions for 79 Z28 With Victor Jr.and 800 AVS Carb

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by camarone75, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Yeah, he will, but expect no miracles. You still have the same core issue as before that the heads and cam are going to hold you back significantly. Not only because they don't flow well but because you're still dealing with a dismal 8.5:1 compression ratio.

If you have to choose between changing the cam and changing the heads you will want better heads first. Nothing exotic- the E-street heads or something similar but with 64cc chambers will raise compression into the mid 9s as well as provide significantly better flow. You wouldn't believe the difference the compression change alone makes. The torque curve gets a lot beefier. Plus you then have enough cylinder pressure to support a moderate performance cam if you want to add one later. You wouldn't need a dyno to know it's gonna get from point A to point B significantly faster.

And if you're gonna be taking the intake off anyway it's sort of a perfect time to swap the heads!

2. camarone75

camarone75 Veteran Member

Thanks Damon , yes heads and cam are coming later
    when he gets the budget to do it , but we will definetely swap
    those smoggers !

3. docwilcar

docwilcar Veteran Member

If you want a bump in power and a rump rump idle for your stock 8.5 motor try the old Crane 274H06 cam with 218-218 dur. .450 lift 106 lsa. This cam will sound like a thumper but still be totally streetable. Will pull 15" vac. at 1000 and around 12-13 at 800. Lots of low and mid range punch. Elgin sells a copy of this cam under part number E1785PM and you can buy it from competitionproducts.com in Wisconsin for around $100 including lifters. I run this cam in my 84 Vette with ZZ4 intake, 600 cfm Edel. , factory tube headers and a 3.07 rear gear. Lots of low and mid range power even with the small valve smogger heads and stock springs with 68K on them! Plenty of vac for power brakes too. You will like this cam. I have 2 friends that run this cam in low c.r. 350's and they love it too. This cam was originally designed by Cam Dynamics before Crane purchased them. The cam was a lift rules oval track cam and referred to as a "Saturday Night Special".

4. retorq

retorq Veteran Member

That is why is pays to do research first rather then purchase stuff based on looks ... like a woman shopping for shoes.

5. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Veteran Member

Funny I am looking at all the same components, still trying to decide if I should go for vortecs, or upgrade to better non-vortecs. I need to bump up my CR before I choose a cam, my '86 350 has about 8.5:1 which is horrid. I am looking into a 274H06 on the recommendations of a lot of guys here.

6. CACTUS4TWO

CACTUS4TWO Veteran Member

You gotta put a cam in it brother! I say go with the vortech style heads/intake and keep a 600cfm carb on top till you get more cubes and compression. I remember putting a cam in my other wise stock LM1 350ci and it was still a dog because of the cr. ratio and heads. Good luck though! It sure is shiny! :bowtie:

7. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

By the time you are done buying a Vortec-style intake and dealing with the different valvetrain (self-aligning rockers) in one way or another you're about into it for the same as an entry-level set of ALUMINUM heads. And you lose about 40 lbs off the nose with aluminum heads.

Vortecs are great if you know you need to buy all those new parts from the get-go anyway. A screaming bargain. But in the last few years those aftermarket aluminum heads have gotten SO cheap, they're almost money-even when considering an upgrade.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  8. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

Profiler 195 heads 64cc and .015 shim head gaskets

Edelbrock air gap or performer rpm

Lunati hydraulic roller voodoo cam

750 carb

9. sweetsoul

sweetsoul Veteran Member

i run that cam and love it! i thought i was all alone...lol i run a performer rpm intake, i have mine advanced 4* my car has 3.23's and a 700r4 and it is dang quick!of course i also have .100 dome pistons....and a good ported and polished set of 882's

10. rtanner

rtanner Veteran Member

imo, the best cam ever made for a 8.5 small block is the comp cams 268h, that cam w headers, rpm or clone rpm intake, and a good quadrajet, wiill make you dance w happiness!!!!! there are many of these style builds in the car mags back in the 80s, so dig a little for info, but ive does this same style build at least a dozen time on cars and pickups, w various intakes and carbs and have never been dissapointed by the 268, and yes if you idle it down it has a nice lope,