Head Gaskets

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by dcozzi, Oct 14, 2019.

1. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I had to read it a few times but, I fully understand the relationship now. Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    The exhaust is already lifting slightly at the base of the intake and the intake is lifting slightly at the base of the exhaust. Hence the term "overlap".
    Once again, a great explanation of how the "brain" of the engine works.

2. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I would never use an impact on rocker nuts. Sounds like a good way to fracture them. Impacts are for wheel lugs and frame mounted bolts not your valve train. I like to have a "feel" when I am making any adjustment of parts that have a moving relationship. That's only my point of view though. I am no expert. Last time I did valve lash the motor was being built on a stand and was 10 years ago.

I remember the "spin the push rod until it feels some resistance" method from way back when. I think it was in David Vizards Rebuilding Your Small Block Chevy book.
    Before we knew better about proper adjustment, we would run the valvetrain "loose". Looking back, we did not really know where the lash was. Sometimes get only part of the cam's lift and/or bend pushrods at higher RPMs. Real shadetree stuff back then. Hell, we were kids.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  3. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Super Shops used to be cool. Now, they act like you are bothering them by shopping there. Still the only game in town for speed parts unless you want to drive to Mesa to Loper's.

4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe for the novice, it's all about knowing how to use your tool........... :)

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

If you ever see the "hot rod" mechanic/tuner take out an air ratchet or impact to adjust or back off your valves, my advice would be "Run Forest Run" LOL.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Your welcome dcozzi. I was worried perhaps my explanation was not clear enough or to complicated, or well phrased.

The other thing I would (& do) look into if it's a Hyd lifter is the manufactures preferred plunger "preload" after zero lash if they have anything on this.

EX: If using a 3/8 stud, @ 24 TPI, a 1/2 turn would be .021, and 3/4 turn is .0315 preload

A 7/16 stud @ 20 TPI is .050 per turn, so easy to figure out preload math on that one.

7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe I missed it but I don't see where anyone said anything about adjusting them with an impact.

8. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

I remember super shops! I spent too much money there back in the early 90s. They closed out here long ago. Didn't realize they were still around.

9. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

They aren't open here either. Been closed for a really long time...20+ years. If there is one still here, its news to me...

10. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Youre right! I am thinking of the Lopers on Indian School Rd. Super Shops has been gone a long time. I obviously haven't used a speed shop for anything for a long time.