Head Selection Help for 383

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Lewspike69, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Lewspike69

Lewspike69 New Member

Hello,
    New to this site. Had to join because of all the knowlegeble members.
    Over the past year, I have been building a 383 for my camaro. I am doing this entire project myself under the council of my local engine builder. So far I have the shortblock completed. Now moving my way up to the top end, I picked out the XR282HR cam with the required retrofit roller lifters.
    I just can't seem to decide on cylinder heads. I want to go with the AFR 195 street heads, but I hear and read otherwise. One reason being the valve springs wont be compatiable with my cam (I know I can buy additionally the right set). And most commonly that I can get just as good as a product for less money with another head.
    My engine builder wants me to go with Edebrock performer heads. He says there great heads out of the box and they will come with the valve springs too. I think hes biased because there the heads on his foxbody haha.
    I also have looked at Dart Pro Platnium heads, as well as others like brodix, profilers, trickflow, or the E-Tec line for Edlebrock

Im planning on using an edlebrock performer intake and either a Holley or AED 750 cfm carb. Maybe 650 cfm
    Also the purpose of this car is to be an every other day/ maybe weekend thrill ride. I want it to be wild but retain essential street manners. Something like fuel economy is not important but would be nice to get decent mpg when driving easy. I guess you can say the tier in between daily driver and street machine, closer to the street machine lol

The heads I need to buy need to be aluminum, around 64-65cc for my compression (around 9 and 3/4 :1), have im thinking 195cc-210cc intake runners, and work well with my cam.

Please help me decide on the best head for my combo. I really want to spend my money wisely. Feel free to ask any other needed info.

2. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

This is my opinion and merely my little own opinion. But I almost never see Eddy's on a serious street motor. So Can I say there bad, not really. I see AFR's on every combo under the sun and all of them make serious power. I have never owned either. I have Canfields. Slightly lower flow numbers than the old AFR's but the were $500 cheaper at the time. So I erred on the side of budget. Now that Canfield is gone and mine are on their last legs, AFR will get my money the next go round.

3. 4wheeler

4wheeler Member

Look at my post two post above yours. I'm looking for heads like you are with alitte help. I'm picking the JEGS heads .. they are on sale now and I'm told they are Prrofilers with JEG stamped on them. The price is right.
    4wheeler

4. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

Mine has AFR 195's. I really like the power, feels like a big block torque wise

5. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Heads are where the power is made. Buy the best you can afford that fits your budget.

I've used a few sets of AFRs myself and they make serious power on everything I've thrown them on. Quite possibly the best out-of-the-box heads you can buy. And you can buy their assembled heads with springs that are compatible with a hydro-roller cam. They cost a little more but they're worth it in my book. I keep using mine over and over on different combos.

6. soco200p

soco200p Veteran Member

It really comes down to what you want to spend. If you want the best of the best, then AFR is the way to go, but they also carry a price tag to refelect being the best.

I also wouldn't pick out a head simply for the fact it might have the right springs you need for your cam. Virtually ever cam from ever manufacture calls for it's own specific spring and it would be hard if not impossible to find a head that has the exact springs your cam needs. I would simply factor in another $80-$100 on whatever heads you get to buy the correct springs your cam calls for.

7. Lewspike69

Lewspike69 New Member

Do you think the valve springs that come with the AFRs will be compatable with my cam? say specificly the 1040 castings.
    Ive read otherwise to what my engine guy told me

thanks for the responses

and about to look at other thread

8. Rascal

Rascal Veteran Member

Dart Pro 1

AFR's if $$$ is no option; I went with Dart Pro 1's bare and probably saved $500 over AFR's. AFR's are great heads but they have out priced themselves. I used Dart Valves +.100 and Dart spring locators, then all Comp Cams components to exactly match my cam. Including valve springs, retainers, locks, valve seals, rockers, pushrods, and lifters. I cleaned up the bare castings myself of any bumps and seams in the runners (intake & exhaust). I port matched the heads to my intake manifold. I also de-burred the spark plug holes in the combustion chambers. My machinist assembled them for $150, checked all clearances, lapped all the valves, verified every spring pressure and insured correct installed height of all springs (ESSENTIAL).

Dart Pro 1: 2.02in/1.60ex, 200cc runners, 64cc chambers, Angle Plug

$900 Bare Heads
    $600 Parts and labor (Assembled; valves, springs, retainers, locks, locators, seals, & labor) ready to bolt on
    -----
    $1500

9. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to the site neighbor

10. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

AFR has several spring packages available for their heads (almost all manufacturers do). You can call and ask them about changes/upgrades to the spring package your heads come installed with.