HEADERS for a LS motor in a 75 and up 2nd gen

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by jazzdriver, Jan 22, 2011.

1. jazzdriver

jazzdriver Member

I have been perusing the threads and all the info on headers etc. Lots of the posts are a couple years old now and would just like to get some current info it we could.

Have a 77 trans am with a newly positioned ( YAAY ) LS2 with T56. Headers have moved up to the top if the "to do " list.

My motor is not the setback 1 inch but am using the adapter plates with the Original clamshells and the metal brackets from clamshell to motor.

The pacesetters 70-2256.. Do they fit..is it easy to cut off the collector sleeve and reweld it.. $300 leaves some room for a weld shop to do some work

Edelbrocks 65073 about 6hun I think. Look good but apperently for the 1 inch setback plates.. ARE WE HAVING GOOD FIT OUT THERE WITH THEM. I look of them cause there is bolt on collecters at the bottom

There is Stainless sets for 98-2002 camaro's on ebay for just under 2 hun and they look good. ANYBODY TRIED THEM???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Also I am not up to speed on these slip in ends of the pace setters..Is it a weld on and be done with it...Used to the old collectors from the 70's the bolt on type wich I kinda like if they or the engine etc etc has to come apart??

Ill pay the bucks if they work fine but if I can save a few hundred I can deal with a little tweak and grind........

Thanks In advance

Appreciate it

2. Pump Guy

Pump Guy New Member

I used the edelbrock headers / mount plates for the 4LQ install; fit and finish has been fantastic. As I am using a 4L80, there were a few zip disk mods required to the the dog house and converter cover, but so far so good..
    Would highly recommend their kit.

3. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I got Dynatech's (see link below) and am using them with the Edelbrock adapter plates. Fits great, nice looking ceramic coating, very complete kit includes nice tapered collector reducers, O2 bungs and plugs for same, bolts, gaskets, etc. Only issue was that the O2 sensor is on top of the collector and with the set-back would hit the floor on the driver's side, so I put a plug in that one and welded a new bung in the collector reducer. And...I had to run my steering shaft around the left header, but I doubt that would be an issue with OE steering. I paid $391 shipped, but I see they have come down to $378--I think a bargain. I have read that the Edelbrocks have a problem with the coating coming off easily...don't know if they have that resolved.

http://www.autopartsdealer.com/Dynatech%20178%20LSX%207081%20CAMARO%20H_115_90940025c-p1859274-p.html

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  4. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wouldn't mind seeing a nice stainless steel set of headers w/o some crummy coating that actually works, unless that is not possible. Even the stainless Eddys have a coating on them that has mixed reviews, unless that has been improved.

5. JAMMINJ007

JAMMINJ007 Veteran Member

Nope Eddy's coating suck! Otherwise the headers fit and function is great!

6. 76_TypeLT

that stinks. so is there a header that fits well and doesn't have the crappy coating issues? Seems like you can get one or the other but not both, at least for full length headers.

7. banaro79

banaro79 Veteran Member

i dont know if this helps but i have the heddman headers they come coated and very well made check my thread i have many pics. im not sure of the 1in setback since i used a brp kit but there seems to be a lot of room.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202786

[​IMG]

8. 383Camaro79

383Camaro79 Veteran Member

I have the edelbrocks too. The coating does suck but otherwise I like them alot.
    I made my own mounts that moved my motor even further back, I had to make a little bit of clearance on the pass side frame rail, but other than that they cleared everything well.

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

what is the issue with edelbrock coating? doe sit peel or something?

10. 76_TypeLT

They look nice...wonder what they'll look like in a year;)