HEADERS for a LS motor in a 75 and up 2nd gen

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by jazzdriver, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Rreemo

Rreemo New Member

Now THAT is REALLY cool....good to know that they fit so well in the ole Cheby. I've got a 72' Cheyenne myself....and it's on the list once I ever get done with this one....I'd be happy with just a 5.3 swap in it though.

2. Bulldog73

Bulldog73 Member

Does anyone know where is the cheapest place for me to buy dynatech headers, the web site autopartsdealer.com is not working anymore, I ordered a set from from texas street and performance for 399plus shipping the contacted me and told me the new price is 549.00, Im trying to see if I can get them cheaper

3. usmcz28

usmcz28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Buy soon I heard prices are going up here shortly if they haven't already. I bought mine from Custom Works for about $400 IIRC, you can also check Ebay and anywhere else if you google the part number.

4. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Holy crap Batman!! I'm glad I bought mine when I did!! I paid $349.99 from Summit Racing. They are $584 now!!

5. andrew69_04

andrew69_04 Veteran Member

i picked up my dynatech headers about 3 months ago for $375 from jegs i believe. speedway is in my home town so I thought I could just swing by and pick up a set. They drop ship from the manufacturer which is why it takes so long to get them from speedway.

I have the Dynatech swap headers on my 79 Z28 with an LS2 and the headers tuck up very nice. I always use them with all the swaps we build. You cant go wrong with the price/fit/finish of the product either.

6. dougs79Z28

dougs79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^^^^^^^^+1 that!

7. AlbertaZ28

AlbertaZ28 Veteran Member

Just finished installing my Dynatech headers on my LS3 swap into a 1980 Z28. They fit great with no issues. I am using the hooker LS swap mounts, stock location with a quicktime bell housing and they don't hit anywhere. There is lots of clearance all around. I had read that there was an issue with the O2 sensors and stock location mounts, but they fit no problem. The stock spark plug wires fit well and the spark plugs are easily accessible. I am very impressed with these headers. I did learn that I should have installed the starter before the pass side header. I had to loosen the header bolts off a bit to squeeze the starter in, not a big issue.

8. cheesenr7

cheesenr7 Member

I have a turbo 400 in my 81 trans am now. From reading this whole thread, seems the best fitment is to go with a 0 offset adapter and run dynatech headers. That will bring my trans 1 inch foward from its current location. I am not woried about my cross member because I can re drill the mounting hole if i needed to. I was wondering if I would need to get a new drive shaft? I would think that 1 inch wouldn't matter all that much and there would be an acceptable amount of the driveshaft still in the back of the trans. Thoughts?

Also anyone know where to get the dynatech headers a little cheaper than $584 which they are currently selling for on summit? Im reading all the post about people paying less than $400 for the set. Im guessing they just decided to jack there prices.

Thanks
    Nick

9. cheesenr7

cheesenr7 Member

Also. what is the better option when using a 98-02 fbody oil pan? 1 inch offset or 0 offset?

10. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The "rule of thumb" I have heard is to have about 1" of slip yoke exposed behind the trans with the car on the tires. If you really want to know what you are working with, remove the trans tail housing after you get everything in place, and you can see exactly how much spline engagement you are getting between the slip yoke and the trans output. If the 400 is like the 4L80E, you will have a little less than 3" of spline to work with on the output shaft. I would think the more contact you have the better. If you have less contact (which as I found out can happen with a counterbored slip yoke), you may have "slop" at the front of the driveshaft which can cause problems such as driveline vibration or worse.