headliner: from bow to 1-piece

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Chuck71RS, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Foundation fitted for single piece headliner: Two layers of 1/4" closed cell foam insulation.
    --- First is 8 pieces to level the roof surface with the raised factory ridge stamping, front-back and left-right.
    --- Second a single piece.

The result is a smooth contour surface for the headliner material. Tuesday is supposed to have a warm spell to apply Weldwood Contact Cement. Will not spray

3/16" foam backed cloth headliner will install using the 71 headliner rails and the pair at front and back glass. Tested with some headliner material

The ccf provides tremendous sound deadening. With one piece of the first layer on, knocked on uncovered roof then a covered area. Uncovered sounds hollow while covered is more solid. The second layer added significantly to the deadening.

Still have not found a matching headliner-carpet

The First Layer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Second Layer: Single piece installed and the front end tapped to the front of the roof. With headliner out the back, cut off most of the excess leaving a couple inches then tapped it to the roof.

Next inserted 1 1/2" #8 screws without heads into the holes the pressed the ccf over the threads. Pulled out one thread and inserted one screw starting with the dome light. After all screws in, trimmed off the excess.

Next is remove the single piece, use contact cement on the 8 piece of the first layer, then glue the second single piece
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BillyDean7173 and dave@ztech like this.
  2. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wow! looks like you've put a lot of thought & effort into this trying to come up with a solution. Should be of good help to many others here.

3. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wouldnt the later 73 or 74 one piece have worked?
    I was curious about doing this as well,but never really went forward with it.
    But in the back of my mind,I tought of going the repop one piece route.

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am watching as well, the one piece from the other years , have different mounting hardware, and some said that even the one on Ebay, where the guy will leave the holes closed and add fabric , was a less then perfect fit, however , if the roof were preped correctly , then there is a chance that an ABS one, that was big enough and did not have to make the curves , just might work.

5. Chuck71RS

Did not want to tray a shell from a later Camaro after the completely unsatisfactory one piece (74-81) from SMS Headliner (ebay): was not seamless, poor support, still required modifications, heavy and awkward to modify-install

Will post when headliner in installed. As of 15 April, I finally found good matching carpet and headliner. The headliner is available from a supplier 4 miles from me. Right now getting ready for final paint spraying.

I was certain the ccf would provide a smooth contour. The material is lightweight and easy to cut (box cutter or pair of scissors). Rather then rely on a preform shelll, I used a flexible material (ccf) to fit the contour

6. Chuck71RS

Will post a more detailed write up and photos when the headliner has been attached

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  7. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

Thank you for taking the time to share this.
    I will most likely copy your process. :)