Heater core, I think?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Speed Happy '77, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Speed Happy '77

Speed Happy '77 Veteran Member

I had this horrible fogging problem inside my car, double-checked that the thing was sealing and found that the weatherstrip was bad and fixed it, but the problem was still there. It just didn't fog in the morning, only when it's running.

I did some troubleshooting, driving with the windows down and turning it on and off, even closed off one vent and let the other go. Anyway, point being, above the vents is getting fogged to the point of being dripping wet. I read the forum for tips and found that usually there is also leaking on the passenger side floor, which mine doesn't do.

As it is, I have the heater turned completely off and a mini car heater installed facing the driver's side so I can see while I drive. Basically, I'd like advice on how to fix it, if it's worth it and if it's more time-consuming than just putting the new engine in my RX-7 for a daily driver to park and cherry this one out.

2. reinhardt79

reinhardt79 Veteran Member

if the heater core needs to be replaced, count on it taking a saturday, as long as things go well. they can be a real peta to replace... but it is only about $15 for a new heater core.

as far as the actual removal and how-to.... do a search as this is a common enough repair these cars need.

ben

3. Speed Happy '77

P.S. I live in Washington. For those of you lucky souls who've never been here, we have 3 months of summer, 9 months of rain, 20 minutes of snow.

I want to get this out of the rainiest part of the year, so it might be a better idea to work on my RX-7, but I still want to fix it either way. I also forgot to mention it's an A/C car with the A/C completely removed (compressor, wiring, piping, etc. gone all the way back to the pipes which are capped next to the heater core).

Anyway, I'll tell you whatever I know or bring it to my dad (he knows things, but he's more a "rip it apart and figure it out" type) and ask him.

4. Speed Happy '77

Thanks Ben. With the symptoms I gave, is it a sure bet it needs to be replaced, or can it be jimmy-rigged till I can do it right?

5. THOMAS81Z

THOMAS81Z Veteran Member

get someone to help you and remove your cardboard glove box insert and it will go easier,
    if you go to the trouble to replace it get a modine or gm if you can fine one they are dollars but worth it

6. Speed Happy '77

Alright, just one more question. Is it a sure thing? It does sound like it's gone too far bad if it's not leaking all over like the other forums mention.

Is it pretty much screwed by the time it even starts fogging your windows?

7. indyzmike

indyzmike Veteran Member

if you want to make sure that the heater core is causing the fogging problem, run the heater hose directly from the waterpump to the intake, bypassing the heater core.

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

^^^ Good answer!!!

When my heater core failed, it fogged the windows before it started dripping out. You should be able to smell anti-freeze in the car either way.
    (Unless you're running water only.)

The hoses are two different sizes.
    I cut both hoses and used a piece of copper tubing as a splice with hose clamps to snug it down tight.

Yes.. Changing the heater core is a big job the first time you do it.
    Even worse if you have A/C.

Here's the procedure---> http://www.nastyz28.com/2gcog/tech/heatcore.html

9. camaro73lt

camaro73lt Veteran Member

I was told by my parts guy there are two quality grades of the heater core. Spend the extra few dollars and get the better one. This is not a job you want to repeat. I think mine was $35 - $45.

10. turbo1013

turbo1013 Veteran Member

IF IT IS LEAKING IT SHOULD SMELL SWEET in the car smell the window does it smell sweet then it is your heater core, ,,
    2nd take off the hoses to the heater core and blow it out with your air hose, , dotn get it on you or in you, cap one side , then blow press up to 20 lbs with a regulated air supply, tie it off to hold press, wiat 10 min, then open up and see if it held press, if it did , your good, if it was all gone, make sure you tied it off good, , then you most liekly need it replaced