Help choose stall converter

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 75Maro, Dec 31, 2019.

1. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

I talked to a local LS tuner and he recommended I install an aftermarket stall converter to help bring my LS to life. I have a 5.3 with a Lunati cam 212/218 at .050 ( PN 20540710), stock 4L60E, posi rear with 3.42 gears. He said 3000-3500 stall but I wanted to get some input from the folks here on
    1) stall rpm's
    2) Brand
    3) misc info

Thanks in advance for all help?

2. EVILFACE

EVILFACE Veteran Member

My 01 SS with 224 cam had a TCI StreetFighter converter that took down plenty of Yank installed cars.

3. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can vouch for Hughe's converters. Their tech guys were ok to deal with as well. I'd start calling converter companies, and seeing what they say. You'll know pretty quickly if the guy on the other end of the line knows something or not, by what he asks you. If they don't even ask what the car's primary function is, then they're not doing their job.

Your intention and transmission need to be known before this can be selected. Also need to know what you currently have for a converter that you're already not happy with.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Agree with calling some reputable companies, be prepared to answer a bunch of questions. Many of these companies will have a detailed application form online that you can fill out and send. Personally, I think 3.0-3.5K stall with a 112/128 is a bit much unless you intend to do a lot of drag racing.

Here's a link to BTE's application form. I know it's very detailed, but this will give you an idea of what the top guys will want to know. https://www.bteracing.com/application-form

5. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

thanks for the info cork. What stall would you recommend for this size cam?

6. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

The car is a street cruiser not a drag car at all. Want good performance while still drivable in town. IE: don’t want the tires screeching every time I shift. Was also told that the stall would make the cam chop more at idle?

7. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My street driven 383 stroker with 3:90's and TH400 tranny has a hughs 3000k stall. (Not certain of my cam specs, but definitely not stock.) You can hear the cam at idle, but I believe that is more exhaust system than converter stall. It has great street manners. If you ease on the gas, it takes off smoothly. If you romp on it, power gets delivered immediately, and it's alot of fun. You will want to know the powerband of your motor as well. Do yourself a big favor...do some research, be honest, and take your time. It will make a big difference in your vehicle.

8. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't really want to make a recommendation based on lack of information and the fact the converter guys know their products much better than I do. I do think if you're told anything higher that 2.5K, you need to start asking questions and look at another source.

Hard shifting is transmission/valve body setup, not converter related. I don't think this is going to be an issue with your stock 4L60E transmission. At light throttle or lower engine rpm's, a higher stall speed can make the transmission feel like it's shifting real smooth. This is because the torque converter isn't locked up. Like said above, when the transmission shifts at a higher rpm, the converter will be locked up, giving a firm shift.

You need new friends.o_O

75Maro likes this.
  9. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

Has anyone used circle D converters? They are recommending the 3000-3200 converter for my application.

10. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I think you'd be very happy with a 2500 rpm converter.

My set up is exactly like yours except I have a gen 1 SBC. Same cam, same gears, and basically same intent with the car in terms of how we drive.

I was also very cautious about going to a higher stall speed.

But I can tell you it was one of the best mods I've done.

During normal driving you'd never suspect I had a higher stall speed. Feels and drives exactly like stock.

But under moderate to hard throttle you get that extra punch off the line. Under full throttle, yeah itll just toast the tires like no tomorrow...

Driveability actually improved too... the stock converter had always had kind of a hair trigger to the throttle feel offf the line. That's now gone.

Also, I'm getting about 2 inHg more manifold vacuum since the there's less load against the engine at idle... and with that the double benefit of less tendency to want to creep forward at idle as well as more vacuum for the brakes to hold the car at a stop with less pedal effort.

Overall there isnt a single drawback to a 2500 rpm stall speed that I've noticed.

75Maro likes this.