Help, plex, streaming shows. Ps3 stuttering.

Discussion in 'NastyZ28 Gamers & Computer Gurus' started by FreedomPenguin, Mar 28, 2013.

1. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ok. I have this set up

1. Internet to Asus router.
    2. Ps3, laptop, tv, etc all on same network. 4mbps currently but soon to be 7mbps.
    3. I put plex media on ps3 and laptop 2 nights ago, I have 2 shows, ones 720p and ones 1080p. The 720p works flawlessly, however the 1080p is stuttering buff:play smooth/stop and repeat.

The movies are on my laptop, I loaded them onto plex/server thing on laptop and the ps3 just accesses it. Ok, so is it a Internet bottle neck? How can I make the 1080p work? Will the 7mbps make the ps3 be able to stream the 1080p file from laptop?. Or is there another way because I'm new at this.

I am doing it this way because my smart tv can't play .mkv files so streaming it from laptop, the ps3 can play mkv and it's on tv.

):

2. Fubar

Fubar Veteran Member

Feb 15, 2006
    The Netherlands Rijswijk
    How did you do that, because my ps3 won';t play mkv files. It won't even recognise them as movie file.

3. Devryn

Devryn Veteran Member

Aug 16, 1999
    AZ
    You have to use a DLNA media server that will recognize MKV files. I prefer PS3 Media Server. I tried plex and always had issues. I REALLY liked TVersity, but they started charging for it at every level and I stopped using it.

FreedomPenguin: I have some of the same issues, but I know it's my router. Are you hardwired into your router? That might help.

4. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio

Works flawless now. Thank you. I was pretty sure its not my pc/router. i7-2630qm 8gb ram and SSD. My asus router works perfect as well. The Ps3 media server works great and is easy to use. I stream everything wireless using DLNA. No wires in this house.