HELP roof is badly damaged

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Kjudd, May 16, 2018.

1. Kjudd

Kjudd New Member

May 16, 2018
    Well.. Mother Nature wasn’t too sparing on this one. A tree fell on this 79 Z a few years ago and then I ended up with it. BUT I knew it could be fixed so I took it on at first the roof was almost a V shape. But now the shape and windshield frame are straight. BUT what about the wrinkled roof?? Suggestions please!
    Thanks everyone.

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Find a donor car....cut it off and replace it....way less hours and effort than trying to straighten that out....

Or just call a paintless dent repair guy.....;)

3. Kjudd

Kjudd New Member

May 16, 2018
    I’ve got another whole roof but the one on the car is straight except for the dents on the top now is it a better idea to fix these dents and do the body work or is it better to just cut the roof skin off and replace it?

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    You could reskin the roof.
    I wouldn't trust the frame is perfectly straight until you set glass into it for trial fitment.
    (Lay a 3/8" bead of Play-Doh around the windshield sealing surface to simulate sealant thickness.)

5. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    As long as you have the inner structure straight cut that skin off and replace it, there pretty easy to do. Your will be glad u did

6. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    Yo might get it straighten out after way to many hours working on it or replace it in half the time.

7. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I'm voting with the replacement skin as well.

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Convertible!!! Roofs are over rated

9. extreme79z

extreme79z Veteran Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Rayville, La
    I agree with what everyone else has been saying here. I would replace it... If money or talent allows it. I, personally, would have tried to straighten this out ten years ago... I would have saved myself a lot of headache and heartache just replacing a lot of the stuff I finally got straightened out! lol At the time though? I didn't have the ability to replace a panel like this. A few years have come and gone and I have learned just enough to be dangerous on roof panel replacement. I would guess trying to straighten it would take you approximately 2-3 times the amount of time as replacement in this case.

As far as the frame being bent? I very, very seriously doubt that the frame is going to have any ill-effects. In spite of popular belief, the bodies and undercarriage of these cars are typically pretty resilient. On my 79 there is a crinkle in the frame on the right front horn. I drove this car through high school and into college and never noticed it. I was looking it over the other day after resurrecting this project from years past and it was one of the first things I noticed. I will be making an attempt to straighten it, however I don't know that it's really severe enough for me to worry with.

I still vote to replace it if possible though!

10. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    I fixed a few a lot worse than that (including my own car 30 years ago), but now you can Buy a NEW Roof "Skin" and just cut and weld.. any "competent body man" could repair that in a day. Your car, your choice. I would NOT use "Used".