Help with 80 camaro

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by David Drez, Feb 7, 2017.

1. David Drez

David Drez New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    so awhile back I bought my first car a 80 csmaro with a fresh block and some odds and ends for 300$ and now I'm trying to drop in a different 350 that I pulled from a van so I can race it in 24 hours of lemons and then daily drive it, is there a way to make a minimalist wiring harness that can be easily added on to as in make it where it just starts and everything, and then after be able to add turn signals and brake lights and headlights or do I need to wire it all at once and if so what's the simplest and most minimalistic way of doing this

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Is your Camaro void of any wiring?

3. David Drez

David Drez New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    currently i have the tail light wiring and headlight and indicator wiring in the car, I have whats left of the harness after the previous owner took half of it out with the old engine, i do however have the vans wiring semi intact, but some parts like the clip that goes to the distributor is toasted. any ideas would be great, i also have quite a few boxes full of the parts that arent going back

4. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    To eliminate gremlins and left-over headaches from the previous owner I'd get a universal harness and replace everything. Since you need to keep this CHEAP to run in the lemons series I'd go with something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-CIRCUIT-...ash=item3d2320370e:g:mtkAAOSw-CpX9bC6&vxp=mtr

This will keep things CHEAP and get you running for now. You can always upgrade to a better harness with higher quality wiring later. 90% of the circuits are unneeded for lemons anyway.

And be careful and remember that the lemons rules dictate perceived value so make sure all the work you do does not make the car look nicer/more expensive than it really is.

5. David Drez

David Drez New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    well i payed 300$ for the car and pulled a 84 van out of some brush on a family freinds ranch, pulled out the engine and trans, scrapped the rest and still have 200$ left, my goal for the wiring is to have it simply run the engine, do mechanical gauges for everything to minimize wiring, and then throw some old offroad lights on a bumper to run from the framerails since the bottom half is destroyed and i have a bunch of scrap stacked up

6. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I'm thinking one of those cheapie aftermarket harnesses will do the trick then. I even found one for $67. 8 circuit is probably too much for what you are doing, but I think its all you can get.

Like I said before. Perceived value. They will look at your car and assess it for value. An engine swap can add to their estimate big time, so be careful. This is done to prevent folks from running a Ferrari and saying "but I only paid $100 for it, see? I have a bill of sale!" Their website has real good info on this.

Not saying what you are doing will violate the rule, I just want you to remember it so you don't get penalized. Even though the engine was free, they may add an assessed value to the car. What engine did it come with originally? If it was a 350 (or any small block) you might get away with it without any issues at all!

7. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Veteran Member

Dec 1, 2014
    TN
    If it was me, and i just wanted the basic wiring and fuses to make it start, work gauges and lights then i'd do my own wiring job and buy me a roll of 10-12 gauge wire. Buying wire and connectors is expensive and yeah you could probably save a bit of dough by buying a harness but then you've got to figure the whole harness thing out too, plus you're not going to utilize the whole harness for what you want to do for your particular mission.

8. David Drez

David Drez New Member

Feb 7, 2017
    i've gotten some assistance, i have a local shop i found out about while working, the guy who runs it said he would help with the motor and drivetrain stuff, wiring he said would be easier to do a dirt track harness, and basically build a harness fr0m whats left of the other 2