Helpfull information, compressor PSI

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by jester1, Oct 21, 2015.

1. jester1

jester1 Veteran Member

Guys just a quick tip that might have been beaten to death however at the same time other sources keep telling people to jack up the pressure at the wall regulator to 120 psi and above to spray and regulate it down at the gun to what you want.

This never made to much sense to me as the regulator at the gun will still allow the pressure to be present but the CFM to disappear.

Anyway here is some simple advice take it or leave it. DROP THE PRESSURE AT THE WALL REGULATOR CLOSE TO WHAT YOU NEED then fine tune at the gun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holly crap what a difference it made. OMG:bowtie:

2. Dogwater

Dogwater Veteran Member

I agree, I had all written down at home but I used 40 psi at the water/oil separator on the wall then 25 at the gun regulator.

3. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, this is what I do.

4. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Barry @ SPI says to jack the pressure all the way up at the wall regulator and then fine tune it at the gun. I did that and never had any issues with getting the PSI dialed in to what I wanted.

5. jester1

jester1 Veteran Member

Yes, but...
    Next time you spray anything try it the other way you will see a night and day difference. Barry is getting a call today, again lol

The only thing you can do at the gun is fine tune the pressure not the volume of air.

In addition savings in material alone is unbelievable

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  6. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Ive tried both. . . Turn down the regulator at wall, starve gun for VOLUME of air.

Now lets consider how you get different results from me and others. . . .lots of variables!

Must assume you have a decent gun, regulator and that the tail stockmof the gun in wide open.?

Exactly what difference do you see?

While ive seen variability in guns my Iwata LPH 400 demands full pressure at the wall!

I'm confused!

Im painting a guitar tonight, I will check it out!

BTW have you sprayed anybclear yet? That is the real test!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  7. jester1

jester1 Veteran Member

Yes I have and will be spraying clear once more once I finish cleaning the $hit off the fan in the garage. Had a slight screw up on one of my doors, just not sure if I actually want to fix it at this point. Might be a good way to cure OCD if I leave it or send me to the kookoo house.

How is the guitar coming? What compressor are you using?

8. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

The only problem with dropping the pressure at the wall is you'll experience a drop due to the length of the line you're running as well. We use two 75 hp compressors at my work and run two booths... one is set at 125 psi and one at 80 and I don't notice a difference between the two except I need to pump more fluid at a higher pressure. I guess with a limited cfm compressor and a gravity gun it would make sense to drop it at the wall too.

9. jester1

jester1 Veteran Member

60psi drops to 57.5 for me. I can se how a large shop can see large fluctuations in air pressure. Also take into concideration we use large id air hoses, high flow couplers only to pinch off the cfm at gun to get the air pressure in check.

10. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Waiting on guitar pieces. Did some practice panels and would ne happy if my new bass come out looking as goodl. Gonna do a couple more later today. Actually its just like painting a car. . . Mostly the same process although im using dyes, sprayed on so grain shows instead of basecoat.

I have a 60 gal. Single stage compressor