Herderz 1971 Restore

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by herderz, Jul 4, 2013.

1. herderz

herderz Veteran Member

Hey all! I am a registered newby but have been lurking for years on this site for info. Decided to post my project which has been going on for over a year now with over 2000 hours of my time.

1971 sport coupe

I bought this car 28 years ago with the hope of restoring it one day. The car had good lines and running. I bought it from a guy I had worked with for years and he drove it every day. He robbed z28 parts from a wrecked 1970 original. The paint was old and it was silver with black z stripes on 8" vette rallies. I drove it a couple of days then let my best friend drive it while he was restoring his 65 F100 Fleetside. Drive gear went out on him after a couple of months so I parked it in my shop. I have never licensed it or driven it on the road since the first couple days of ownership. I had a 5 or 6 year stint of using her as a drag race toy rebuild the drivetrain and painting her yellow. The wife called her the big banana, use to piss me off! Now that I am long in the tooth I have decided to do a ground up on her to restore her glory. I have over 200 time lapse pic that I will be posting over the next few weeks.
    [​IMG]
    This is her at the start of the restore April 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here she is now
    [​IMG]

2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to the site! I'm happy to see another 71 get redone. It looks like a great project and has a great backstory to it as well.

3. herderz

herderz Veteran Member

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  4. herderz

herderz Veteran Member

THE PLAN
    Restore my baby as close to stock as I can afford. One piece at a time. Recondition or replace, new or used. First set the target to work toward. She was originally Nevada Silver with dark blue interior. Found a couple pics off the web to print and post in the shop. My son got me a large z28 emblem for Christmas to mount on the wall. These are the items I will use to motivate me going forward. Picturing myself behind the wheel.
    [​IMG]
    Ordered a butt load of sheet metal for what I thought I would need to replace. I will mention as I go along that each piece is new, used or restored.
    [​IMG]
    Rear end, cancer at its worst. Started to cut away at her with a plasma cutter reviling rust in the seams of the quarters. Solid main portions still in factory dipped primer. I deemed whole panel replacement would be best because of the condition of the rear of the car and to keep everything straight as the car has very good lines to start.
    [​IMG]
    Cleaned her down to the factory seams on both sides, ready for welding.
    [​IMG]
    Stitch welded with a mig new wheel wells and trunk drop down panels on both sides.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry not a lot of detailed pics here. I butt welded new outer skins to the body which took days! I welded them solid using 1 sec. tacks 4 inches apart until I had the full panel welded solid all the way around. This prevented any panel warpage due to heat and kept the sheet metal flat and straight. The grind down of the welds was just as slow. Using a die grinder at very slow speeds I ground the welds down flush being sure not to over heat any spot that would result in the panel warping.
    [​IMG]
    I stripped the tail end and polished it with roloc scotch brite wheels, cut out and replace the lower valance panel with a new one butt welding it along the bumper line.
    [​IMG]
    The trunk pan was gone when I purchased the car. When you opened the trunk you saw the gas tank, very bad cancer. I cut out the pan with a plasma cutter all the way to the frame rails. If you don't have a plasma cutter you alt to get one, make body work so much easier.
    [​IMG]

5. herderz

herderz Veteran Member

Butt welded in a new trunk pan solid using the same method as the quarters and ground down flush.
    [​IMG]
    Stripped down the interior, removed the windshield and rear glass.
    [​IMG]
    Disassembled the front dog house.
    [​IMG]
    Removed the doors and stripped the remaining shell down to the metal. Primed the shell ready to start blocking.
    [​IMG]
    Blocked and primed the shell 3 times by hand.
    [​IMG]
    Shell complete now for the body panels. I Started with the nose. I stripped the upper and lower panels down to the metal inside and out.
    [​IMG]
    I filled small imperfection with mud and blocked and primered each piece 4 times to get the desired smooth curves. I love early 2nd gen Camaros, the steel body is like a beautiful woman, intoxicating curves at every point of the vehicle. Not a flat spot on her.
    [​IMG]
    Got the first 2 panel done. Undercoated on the inside. But still have a long way to go.[​IMG]

6. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Nice work!!! Mines going to look the same, Cortez silver black stripes.

7. herderz

herderz Veteran Member

I removed the radiator support, butt welded new patch steel around the once present battery tray and along the lower radiator portion of the support. Why the engineers did not put in better drainage there is be on me. I resolved this by cutting slots in the bottom so water could drain. Primed and painted the support in stain black and remounted it to the front clip.
    [​IMG]
    Years ago when I painted her yellow I removed the dog house and stripped everything down and repainted. This made todays work easier, I degreased the clip, scuffed her up and added a new coat of stain black.
    [​IMG]
    Now with a fresh coat of black she was ready for restored panels to be assembled.
    [​IMG]

8. herderz

herderz Veteran Member

Thanks stevenp. Nothing like the labor of love.

9. herderz

herderz Veteran Member

Parts everywhere, start to loose fit primed panels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Start on front fenders. I had stripped and blasted the front end when I painted her yellow years ago. strip down to metal came easy.
    [​IMG]
    Hand blocked and primed 3 times with undercoat on the inside. Started to strip down inter wheel wells and paint satin black.
    [​IMG]
    Loose install both fenders. I will have to line everything up after the door are complete.
    [​IMG]
    Starting to look like a car again.
    [​IMG]
    Install a new battery tray, acid almost eat the original away. restore brackets braces for inter fenders.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. herderz

herderz Veteran Member

Strip rear deck lid and spoiler. Block and prime, same deal as all panels
    [​IMG]
    Strip down the hood. Weld in filler panel where I had an 8" hole for the velocity stack for the race engines.
    [​IMG]
    The hood took extensive amount of blocking to smooth out to my satisfaction. 8 or 9 times to straighten original waves from the factory.
    [​IMG]
    Passenger door stripped to the metal including the jambs.
    [​IMG]
    Triple blocked got it ready
    [​IMG]
    Oh thank god, the last panel. driver side door
    [​IMG]
    Stripped her down
    [​IMG]
    Multiple door dinks from the past but over all the outside was in great shape
    [​IMG]