Hi all! What do you guys think?

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by leonator134, Apr 23, 2012.

1. wayback

wayback Veteran Member

Welcome to Nastyland. :happy:

Bought my Camaro as a summer DD. An AT should work well for what you have in mind. For future reference, check out some of the 200-4R conversions here.

Best not to drive these cars in salt at all. The powder/dust gets into some very inaccessible places and condensation activates it. Doesn't take much. Tends to eat 2nd gens from the inside out.

2. B.M.

B.M. Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Columbus,Ohio
    You are right,i dont know what was available in 81,but my 80 is a factory 350 4 speed car.

3. leonator134

leonator134 Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, MA
    Ahh yes, I had heard that rust gets them pretty good. Unfortunately, there is no more room in our garage/ driveway for me to have another car. So I would have to give up the car I drive (grand marquis) in order to buy a Z, and it would be the car I drive everyday.

But what say I bought a Z this summer and put it up on jackstands and painted every single undercarriage component I could with several coats of POR15, how do you think it would fair then? (frame, floors, wheel wells, the whole deal)

B.M.- I'm jealous! It must be a blast to drive.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  4. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Mar 2, 2001
    Waltham, MA. USA
    welcome aboard lenator! i would suggest using Eastwoods Inner Panel treatment and frame coating in addition to what you did:

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-anti-rust-aerosol-with-ext-nozzle-black.html

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

I don't drive my camaro in the winter anymore. But I do drive my 78 Cutlass and did apply the anti-rust, frame coating, frame encapsulator, and undercoating and it has been rust free. It also helped that the woman who owned the car before, had it rust proofed when she bought it 34 years ago. Since it was done 34 years ago, I freshened it up with those coatings and the frame and panels looks new.

good luck

5. B.M.

B.M. Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Columbus,Ohio
    Yeah,this is the funnest car i have had.Over the years i have had 3 camaros with automatics,because around here the 4 speed cars are really hard to find,Either people get them and keep them,or people get them and swap them to an auto,so when i found the car i have now,i jumped on the chance as fast as i could haha.

6. cws455

cws455 Veteran Member

Sep 19, 2009
    La Porte, IN

This is only half true. The 350, 4 speed combo is the standard combo for the 1980 Z28 that wasn't sold in California. The automatic is optional on the 350 and standard with a 305 in California only. It's not until 1981 that the 305 4 speed became the only way to get a manual trans in a Z in the US. Canadian bound Z28's could be had with the 350 4 speed combo though.

7. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    I drive my 74Z only on nice days , usually in the early morning right after breakfast. Nice cool morning to take a spin around the hood.

I would be very skeptical of driving a nice old 2nd gen anywhere I could not keep ONE EYE on it all the time. Park it where you can see it . They are very "STEALABLE" cars ...and becomming rare....around here I see less than 10 a year , if that !!! People seem to like the looks though. I've seen only 3-4 for sale local in many years .

The four speed car are the fun to drive. I like shifting gears :crazy: , alot less 4 psd cars were sold than automatics. And the 4 spds that were sold were abused and raced and wrecked , so there are just few of them around today.

8. leonator134

leonator134 Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, MA
    78LT- very good, I'm glad to hear that worked. Thank you for the links and glad to hear it works!

B.M.- Sounds like a blast, it's my goal to have one someday! Glad it still has some originality!

9. B.M.

B.M. Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Columbus,Ohio
    Not really too original anymore haha,the 350 has been rebuilt and hopped up a bit,bigger cam,etc. and the previuos owner pulled the original 4 speed tranny and put a muncie in it,plus alot of other things that have been done that took it far from original,but it still has it's original type of drivetrain i guess you could say haha.If you cant find an original 4 speed car,as mentioned above they are getting harder to find,you may consider getting an automatic,then when time and money are available you could always do a swap from the auto to 4 speed.There are several people on here that have done it so i'm sure there is a thread about what all needs to be done.Also there are always people parting cars out in the swap meet section so you could probably find the pedal setup and all the needed parts from someone on here for a good price.

10. leonator134

leonator134 Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, MA
    Z28PILOT- Are they really that popular so as they get stolen frequently?! I'd love to find an original 350 4 speed, maybe hop it up a little bit but keep the drive train original, that would be really cool. Someday! haha

B.M.- Ahh I see, we'll still way cool though! And yes, I've thought about that, I also am sure it could be done. That may be the thing to do. At least start out with an automatic and drive that for a while.