High Humid Locations

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by badazz81z28, Jun 6, 2019.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

For you all that live in humid environments, what do you do to keep your car safe and dry?

I’m thinking if these 5lb desiccant bags to put in the interior and trunk

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Except for a 10 year stint in IL, my car has been in GA for most of it's life. It's lived under a carport in Warner Robins, GA and in a garage here in Ringgold for the past 20. I do keep a fan circulating air during the summer months, but otherwise I don't make any special effort to curb moisture. I've never had any kind of interior issue because of it. I rub the front linkage and other bare metal with fluid film once a year to keep surface rust off.
    What part of AL are you going to? You shouldn't have a problem any place inland of the south coast.

budro6968 likes this.
  3. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

box fan

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member

The desiccant will work, but you may want to tape off the door jamb vents and put a piece of plastic over the cowl vent. Depending on the type of sieve, it can load with moisture pretty quick. If you have a scale, weigh the bag once a month or so. One it gains about 20% in weight (molecular sieve) or 30% in weight (silica gel) its done. The company I work for sells desiccant, but not packaged exactly for this particular application:

http://www.flowdry.com/index.php

A small fan situated somewhere in the interior along with the desiccant is best. Once in awhile or on a timer run the fan for a few minutes to keep the air circulating. This eliminates any localized high humidity areas and helps to bring the initial humidity down quickly.

5. 2nd79

2nd79 Member

If the car is indoors, run a dehumidifier in the garage. If you have drain in the floor, you can drill the spot in the collection bucket and attach a short length of garden hose to get the water to the drain. This will keep you from having to empty the bucket regularly. Your car, tools, and everything else in the garage will be much better off.

6. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've had my car 28 years now, in VA, WV, FL, and back to VA. All fairly humid places, certainly by NV/SoCal standards, and I've never really done anything. Garage-kept was most important, IMO, as the sun took a BIG toll on the paint for a few years in FL. But humidity damage, no... at least none I can think of.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Right now it’s out in a parking lot with a car cover. Once we move into the house (hopefully this week) it will be in the garage, but I does feel humid in there. I was also thinking laying clay/litter under the car.

8. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Humid in Vegas??

I thought that was desert country there......

9. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I keep the car in a garage that isn't air-conditioned. Lotsa humidity; no problems. It all depends on how well protected the metal parts are.

One thing that most don't realize is the air controller flap in the car is unpainted from the factory. Yup. It is literally rusting away inside your dash.

10. samwyatt

samwyatt New Member

It's true. It depends on how well protected the metal parts are.