Holley....made in China

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by badazz81z28, Apr 11, 2016.

1. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

I went through some fun rebuilding a genuine GM HEI distributor that was sourced from a junkyard-a 1982-83 Caprice if I recall....standard 4-pin module type. I thought I was having an ignition problem and thought I'd rebuild it. Well, at the time I had read about people buying new Skip White dizzies for $45 bucks or whatever and thought how in the hell can they be that cheap? Gotta be China distributors....and yes they were so I didn't try one. Instead, (being an ex parts guy at a performance shop in the late 90's when the Chinese crap just got rolling in the aftermarket i.e. Professional Products polished intakes 'member?) I opted to source quality aftermarket parts to rebuild it myself. I had about $160 bucks in it when I was done and here's what I bought and its respective country of origin:

HEI dizzy-used, from US junkyard $10
    BWD Select Brand module, from Israel $36
    BWD Select Brand coil, from Mexico $28
    Standard Ignition pick up coil, from USA $18
    AC Delco module condenser, from USA (actually an NOS part) $8
    Advance curve kit, from Mr Gasket Co-Mexico $12
    Adjustable vacuum advance, Crane-USA $16
    BWD cap and rotor, from Mexico $32

So I didn't find a lot of US made stuff at my local parts stores but I tried to avoid China first....the modules and coils were the funniest thing, I bet I had the guy pull 4 of them out and each one came from a different country....Israel, Mexico, Singapore....one even said "made in US with foreign material" whatever the hell that means....lol So I tried to NOT buy Chinese sourced parts....and it gets tougher each time I do stuff like this.

2. Hyperion_Kennel

Hyperion_Kennel Member

I have to ask you, do you get raped on shipping? I buy parts from China as well for a company I own and it costs more for shipping than for the 600 widgets. I can get 600 for $40 and its $55 to ship. Whats funny is people retail these things state side for $2 each. Ive been thinking of getting into the direct consumer sales of parts, even at 10 for $10 shipped I can make a few bucks really easily.

3. TwinnEngines

TwinnEngines Veteran Member

Holley has always been crap in my book and as far as the new Prez in charge, he seems like a Douche. He thinks he is cool, but doesn't realize that his covered car rag endorsement proved that he is Sir Douche'alot.

Edelbrock all the way,

4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks like edelbrock will need to start making more variants of their carbs so to replace the Holley 1050 and 1150 dominator in either standard or split carb format