Holley Sniper EFI kit - should I try and self install?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Aussie78Z28, Aug 11, 2019.

1. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

upload_2019-10-4_6-11-50.png upload_2019-10-4_6-13-39.png
    I used the RobbMc tank and the nickle-copper lines.
    Could use all fuel injection rubber hose as well
    Tank fits nicely into the vapor canister bracket
    Can easily go back to carb. if needed

Attached Files:

2. NotUniqueEnough

NotUniqueEnough Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just decided I wanted an in tank pump. I used FI rated rubber hose for the return line clamped on to the original feed line. and ran the new feed along the same path. Car is not currently accessible to me as I'm traveling for work. But it is super easier. Just read through the directions once or five times. gather all the tools/parts etc and make sure you have everything you need ready to go.

Aussie78Z28 likes this.
  3. Aussie78Z28

Aussie78Z28 Member

Awesome - thanks heaps :)

4. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

If your tank is pretty old, you'll save yourself some headaches by replacing it now. The injectors will stick open if any debris gets to them and your old tank will be a major source of that crap. Plus, you can go in-tank with your pump and no sweating where to run your return. I used my old feed line as a return and used 3/8 FI push-lock hose with clamps for the feed. I routed the new line alongside the brake line on the driver side of the car. Zip ties and a few hose clamps and you're all set. I'd also recommend incorporating a pressure gauge too.

Aussie78Z28 likes this.
  5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

dave@ztech, Zoomin and Aussie78Z28 like this.
  6. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

I have hours invested in researching an EFI swap, that i still need to convince myself to do. Kinda hard to do when both cars are running great on their current carb setup.
    But like others have said, spend the time putting together a solid plan, and gather the necessary components. Drive one side of the car up on a few peices of wood to help gain some ground clearance. I have never looked at this like it was a very difficult project, but it will require wiring, and plumbing. The hardest (might not be the best word) thing i saw for a home install was the O2 sensor bung. I think Fitech had some type of no weld deal. Personally my plan was to weld the bung in at work, and plug it to get home to do the install. I enjoy projects on my car at home VS at work. Cant enjoy a sudsy beverage at work.

Aussie78Z28 likes this.
  7. NotUniqueEnough

NotUniqueEnough Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sniper EFI kit comes with a no weld bung too. I used it just long enough to drive it to a shop to weld one in.

Aussie78Z28 likes this.
  8. db468

db468 New Member

I had a 8 an sump so filter is at that and did -8an to the pump. From there i used line in the kit. Just be careful of wire routing as you can run into rfi issues easily and if you have facebook there is a holley sniper page dedicated to them with alot of good info on it.

20180406_143511.jpg 20180406_143511.jpg 20180318_232003.jpg 20180327_134725.jpg 20180327_141625.jpg Screenshot_20191009-145453_Gallery.jpg 20180406_143511.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Aussie78Z28 likes this.
  9. Aussie78Z28

Aussie78Z28 Member

10. rburrow87

rburrow87 Member

I actually just about finished up installing and plumbing an Aeromotive Gen II Stealth tank. Went with the 200lph pump. My old tank was dented, crusty, and would've needed to be drilled or something to get a return line into it. If it had been in mint shape I probably would've gone with that Holley drop in unit and cleaned the old tank, but the Aeromotive tank is $500 and it's painted, assembled, baffled, and ready to run out of the box. The in-tank pump on that thing is dead silent too, all I can hear is the relay clicking on and off out by the battery. Curious if it'll be audible once it's loaded down with 58 PSI though, currently regulated to 6 PSI to run the soon to be retired qjet. Ran 10 gauge power and ground wire through the inside of the car, following the rest of the wiring that runs through the trunk and up to the front. Aeromotive insists on 10 gauge (12 minimum) to minimize voltage drop, not because the pump draws an unusual amount of current or anything.

I have a Firebird so my original 3/8 fuel line runs up the left side, and there are 1/4 and 5/16 vapor return and EVAP lines on the right side. I actually put a charcoal canister back in so I'm using the 5/16 line for that. The 1/4 line was unused so I trimmed and rebent some of it to make a template to use for bending the 3/8 feed and return lines to run along that side. I mounted the 10 micron filter below the right door, which allowed me to make the feed line 2 pieces to ease the bending and installation. I also split the return line in the same area and have a -6 AN union there to join the front and rear sections. I went with Earl's Vapor Guard hose and hose ends because I just don't see the need for fancy braided stuff for how I use this car.

I spent a long time hemming and hawing about how to do the fuel system on this thing. Even made a spreadsheet of the different options and prices and narrowed it down to the combo that made sense. Then spent even more time doing image searches and thinking about how to route everything because I didn't want to accidentally end up with something annoying to service or routed poorly/in the way of something else. At some point you just gotta decide to start doing it and hope you aren't short some critical part. I did it by myself on a driveway with the rear end up on some ramps and that seemed like plenty of room. I wouldn't say any of it was hard to do, just time consuming and sometimes tedious depending on how fancy you get.

Next step will be to install a Holley Sniper. I was actually going to do just the fuel system and stop there because I want to swap in a Gen III 5.3 or 6.0 at some point, but a new opened but unused Holley Sniper popped up for a low enough price that I couldn't ignore it, so it seems the BBC will be hanging around for a while longer if it doesn't grenade randomly.

My fuel system's not exactly pretty, but I'm happy with how it turned out. I'll try to take a few pictures tomorrow when I go fiddle with it more -- still need to empty and remove the old feed line before really driving it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    dave@ztech likes this.