Hood fitment

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Paul91, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Paul91

Paul91 New Member

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post, I'm a long time lurker. Im currently rebuilding a 1980 z28. I bought the car running and moving but with the front clip ( fender,hood, nose) off of it. I've got the fender to door gap good and have the nose on the problem is the hood. It's a original z28 hood. The passenger side fits perfect,the driver however is way off in the front and tight in the back. It comes up short to the front of the fender and is much woder gap at front than it is at rear. The passenger side fits perfectly though. If I try to adjust from where it's at it either overlaps the front bumper cover on pass side or the rear of driver side ends up on top of febder. I'm not sure if it's the hinges or something is off or what. The car does have regular Camaro fenders if that matters ( not the stock scooped z28 fenders). Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

You don't mention if the fenders are OE or repop. If they're repop, I'd say that's your issue. I had the exact issue w/ my 81 Z28. And I purchased several LH repop fenders, Goodmark and AMD. They just didn't fit. And the alignment of the front of the hood could be due to a repop core support. Had the same issue.
    When I purchased OE fenders and core support, my alignment issues went away.

3. Paul91

Paul91 New Member

The core support seems to be the original to the car. The driver fender is an original gm piece. The passenger fender is definitely aftermarket. It has a stamp of 4-11 in it which I would assume means it was made in April 2011. I can get either side to line up just not both. It also appears that the aftermarket fender is shorter by almost 1/2" if you put a tape to it. I'm assume that has something to do with my problem. I should look for a pair of z28 fenders for it, but I'm in Western NY and most used parts are rusted garbage around here.

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Try moving the rad support to the right (pass. side). Then move the drivers side of the hood forward. Is it in the full closed position (latched) in the pics? If so, the hood striker is also probably going to need moved. Hope it works out for ya. This is a common problem, but aggravating and time consuming.

5. Paul91

Paul91 New Member

Yes the hood is closed in the picture. However I have the upper latch pulled off. With the latch on it really pulls it hard to the driver side when closing. I tried adjusting the latch but it doesn't have enough adjustment. I also thought of the core support as an issue. Do I just loosen the body mounts and pull it over?

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Yes. If you get the rad support to the right and move the hood forward on the left side, that could help. Don't tighten everything up until you are satisfied with the gaps. Might have to settle for "happy medium" in some way. These cars weren't the best fitting when new. Sometimes if the striker is maxed out to one side a BFH might help, but last resort.

budro6968 likes this.
  7. Paul91

Paul91 New Member

Okay, I will try getting it over tonight. I'm not looking for a perfect fitment. I'm just looking to put together a fun driver to mess around with. I've had cars that were too nice to enjoy and I dont want that again. I sold all my toys to buy my house 3 years ago and now I'm getting back into fun stuff. My 3 year old daughter is starting to like cars, I got the car dirt cheap and couldn't pass it up. I figure this is my chance to get her hooked on project cars. She's in the garage every night with me working on it

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

If the pass fender was replaced may have taken a little hit and shifted the support.

9. Paul91

Paul91 New Member

I do believe the car took a hit on the pass front at some point . The miss match fender and the fact that the car is 95% rust free lead me to suspect thats why it was replaced. The only rust it had was where the toeboards meet the front floor because someone put a sunroof in at some point. Why somebody swapped to base fenders instead of z28 fenders is beyond me, but I plan on running the z28 wheel spoilers still just with smooth fenders. I think it will look cleaner anyways.

10. Paul91

Paul91 New Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I moved the core support over to the passenger side and it straightened the front end out. I did body bushings last week so at least the bolts turned easy. I did have to use a ratchet strap to a solid point (my truck hitch) to pull it over but it worked well. Cranked the bolts as tight as I could so the core support couldn't try to spring back over as I think it's slightly bent. Great site for advice here

xten likes this.