Hood Gap

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by GoldenOne7710, Aug 19, 2019.

1. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

This is an aftermarket OER bumper cover, original GM hood. We've beat our brains out trying to make this gap "better". I don't think we can. The hood to bumper gap right in the center is about 1/8 inch...like it should be. The gap opens up to over 1/2 inch out at the right/left ends. If we move the hood forward to close the gaps on the ends, the center will hit the bumper cover.

Should I just call it good and not worry about it? This is the ONLY gap on the entire car that isn't as perfect as you could ask for.
    20190817_115816.jpg
    20190817_115847.jpg

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Its fairly close

3. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The gap standards for 1970s cars arent as uniform or "tight" as they are today. Its not unusual to have gaps from 1/8" to 1/2" or more along the hood, fenders, and front bumper cover.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It there a gap between the upper part of the grill and the urethane nose?

It looks to me the gap in the center could be improved by shimming the upper part of the nose support slightly away from the radiator support.

That should push the nose forward a bit but will also tilt the nose slightly downward.
    (And will close any gap between the upper portion of the grill.)

5. GoldenOne7710

No gap there. All the cutouts for the headlights, parking lights and upper/lower grills are TIGHT. No room to play with for sure. I'll have to go back an assess shimming the upper nose support. Seems like I looked at it and decided it would be a no-go. I'll study on that some more.

6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

How is the hood at the other end near the windshield? If its lined up with the tops of the fenders not much you can do. If it is a bit back from the fender edges, you can mark and start to grind metal out of the center of "V' on the front of the hood to let it slide forward.

7. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I remember having a heck of a time getting mine lined up too - in the end, I just accepted that the gaps are not going to be perfectly consistent all the way around the hood. And honestly, unless I pointed it out to someone, they would likely never even notice.

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  8. Twisted_Metal

As close to perfect as you have it... I would leave it alone and live with it.

The gaps are a bit wide on the sides of my hood.
    But I'll be damned if I want to adjust both doors and fenders to try to tighten them up. (And have doors which close hard.)

If it's parked at a car show where there might be some (other) nit-pickers… I just open the hood and the gaps are gone! ;)

9. GoldenOne7710

It's lined up perfect with the fender line at the cowl. Another thing I had to take into consideration, if the hood was too far back...it would interfere with the wiper arms. 20190817_120101.jpg
    20190817_120122.jpg
    I think I'm at the point to call it good. I've got to study on making the headlight and parking light bezels fit better so we can finish this thing.

10. Twisted_Metal

Do you have new weather stripping on the doors?
    I ask because your doors are lined up BEAUTIFULLY with the "A" pillar.

If mine were that far inboard, I would have to slam the doors to get them to close with the weather stripping I have. :(