hooker cross member

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 5spd540, Dec 21, 2013.

1. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

DO they make one of these for a TKO trans? I see there is one for the T-56 and for a auto. Or will the TKO bolt up to one of the others?

2. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

There is no direct bolt-in TKO trans crossmember available from Hooker for this swap application, but I know from what I've seen of the mounting geometry of the TKO that I could modify one of the Hooker crossmembers to accommodate it...Hmmm, maybe I will put this down as something to check into after the holidays.

3. 5spd540

Ok thanks that would be great. I just don't want to spend 225$ then have to do some cutting on it

4. ppowers2

ppowers2 New Member

I just purchased the t-56 crossmember and was going to modify it for a TKO. Maybe I'll wait and see what toddoky comes up with.

5. 5spd540

I just don't see how it's a good idea to buy a part and then have to mod it

6. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

It's a good idea if it's your only option and you want to be able to take advantage of the rest of the fitment and performance benefits the Hooker components contain in their design (like the 3 degree engine inclination angle and the high arch exhaust passages in the Hooker crossmembers that provide for the highest exhaust clearance you can obtain from any crossmember). For those of us that can fabricate, it's a no-brainer, but I understand not everyone has that option in front of them. The TKO mounting pad location is a similar distance from the bellhousing location as 700R4, which is about 4" further forward than the mount on the T56. Knowing that, I could definitely fabricate a cantilevered bracket to expend off the front of the T56 crossmember to pick up that point. The Hooker 4L60E crossmember mounting pad is only about 2" further back than that of the TKO, so that may work out to be an even easier modification to perform.

7. 5spd540

So the tko is in the middle of the two that hooker makes. Is that correct

8. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not really that difficult to modify a stock 4 speed cross member to work.

You have to lengthen the mount shown here. The cross member will need to be slid back maybe .500-.750 inch. The rear hole in the frame can be redrilled to match up with new x member location. It can be redrilled since the access hole to get to the hardware holding the x member in is oblong. The access hole for the front hardware is round so your stuck with where that hole is in the frame. I welded tab on, then bridged across x member and new metal "ear" with another piece of metal for strength. I installed x member put a bolt through the rear hole then marked the hole location on the ear, removed x member and drilled a hole in the ear.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Cut the existing tongue off, shorten and re weld lower on x member. I installed x member and measured from front edge of it to the trans mount bolt holes and that got me the measurement for how much length I needed to cut off. Once cut, I installed on trans, threw a few tacks on to secure it to x member, pulled the assembly out and finished the weld on the bench.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

9. 5spd540

It looks like I may just have to fab my trans cross member and my motor mounts

10. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

I don't know if this is a set dimension across all GM trans or not, but could be relevant as far as driveshaft angle and engine orientation. What is the TKOs mount location in comparison to the trans centerline. If it is higher or lower it will affect the angles, correct?