hooker cross member

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 5spd540, Dec 21, 2013.

1. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My time is free and I have a lot of it right now

2. hessdawg

hessdawg Veteran Member

3. 5spd540

Cool you have a spot to tuck your duel pipes now

4. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

That worked out pretty good for you hessdawg, what transmission are you supporting with it? From the relationship of the mounting holes in looks like it's being used with a T56, TH400 or a 2004R.

5. hessdawg

hessdawg Veteran Member

Ive got a 200r4 but a I want a t56 as soon as I can afford one

6. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

I gotcha. The T56 mount location is basically the same length from the bellhousing as for your 2004R, but you'll have to drop the center section of your crossmember down by approximately 1-5/16" from the height you have it at now to compensate for the lower machined mounting pad height of the T56 and to clear the casting of the T56 extension housing.

7. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

Hey 5spd540. I did some digging and discovered that the distance from the machined mounting pad height to the center of the output shaft on your TKO is 2.2" and the same dimension on a 4L60-4L75 is 2.5".

Therefore, a crossmember designed for a 4L60-4L75 transmission that can be slid forward could be used to also support your trans with an appropriate sized spacer plate between the crossmember and mount to make up the mount pad height variance. I don't think you're going to have much issue getting something to work.

The Hooker 2nd-gen crossmembers both come with angle brackets (photo attached) for allowing mounting on the inside of the frame rails on the 1975-81 cars that did not have the rearward mounting holes punched into the subframes like the earlier cars did, which would also allow the ends of the crossmembers that extend out into the formed pockets on top of the subframes to be trimmed off so the crossmember can be moved forward for mounting. You could also fabricate your own crossmember to mount in a similar manner or mount something like the jegs universal crossmember in a similar way.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  8. 5spd540

So do I use the 75-81 or the 70-74?

9. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

The Hooker crossmembers fit the entire range of 2nd-gens through the use of the before mentioned angle brackets and a compensation shim that is included with the 1970-74 specific engine bracket kit. So that means the closest Hooker crossmember to your application would be the the 12614HKR 4L60-4L75 assembly. You'll have to do some amount of trimming and grinding I'm sure, but it will take far less time, effort and money than building something from scratch in my opinion.

10. 5spd540

Ok thanks I will look into that