Hooker / Holley's new 2nd gen LS set-up

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by mikes70, Nov 20, 2013.

1. mikes70

mikes70 Veteran Member

Sorry i owe you guys pics. I either didnt take any or they didn't load on photobucket (i've been having problems with my photobucket account getting confused between my mobile uploads and my laptop) so the pics with the new headers bolted up didn't get on to photobucket.

So heres the skinny without pics thusfar......

Yes, the later generation (2nd of course) headers fit waaaaaaay better, at least for my car. I gained 3/4 more ground clearance. and have 3/4 +/- from the floor board. So my frame is at 4 1/8 at the lowest spot and the headers are at 2 3/4 to 2 7/8, i was hoping to get 3 plus but no more scraping for the most part.

I had to put the other headers back on for the track event i have coming up next weekend and am working with Todd for a longterm solution. I simply do not have much time to play as i own a small business with seven employees so my priorities are with them and my company.

The headers are easily mounted through the bottom with having to remove nothing major (oil dipstick and spark plugs wires, but no starter, existing exhaust, etc).

Overall, i'm pleased with the Holley/Hooker kit, it gave me the set back, pinion angle, stout crossmember, and headers that overall fit good (Keith was explaining to me the difficulties Hooker had for the drivers side and mechanical clutch linkage). Would I buy it again, yes, but i would refer to the later p# when ordering the headers. And I would recommend Hooker do a little better job on there finish work on the coating and stainless finish. The fit at the heads was better on the earlier coated pair vs the newer painted pair, but i didn't have to do ANY grinding. The swap on my passenger side took less than an hour and just getting my car on stands is like half that. T
    They could also work on the engine body mount confusion a little more, just make it clearer to us weekend warriors (which i believe is their marketing demographic).

With the amount of variables out there with these conversions, Holley's job is very very difficult (and no Todd didn't pay me to say that lol) as all these cars varied tolerance wise from the factory quite a bit, the amount of options that people have nowdays with competing vendors is just mind boggling. Holley/Hooker is trying to make it easier with one stop shopping, I wish i had this option when starting my LS swap, as this would of made things much easier.

So i took my chances, ordered this kit with the hopes of gaining 1" of ground clearance and at the end of the day i ended up with pretty close to that, just not with the earlier p#.

So guys/gals doing this conversion, when taking all the possibilities into consideration, this kit simplifies it and makes it very affordable, trust me on this. Everything is very competitively priced, i've checked (and i was willing to spend more if necessary) so I went ahead with the "repurchase" of every component again to make the fit even better than what i already have. This is my passion, building, driving, polishing etc....so it was worth it. Hopefully pics soon.

Hope this answers some questions, til pics and a final header....to be continued....

Mike

2. ks71z28

ks71z28 Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Mike thanks for the update. I was going to do it myself, but this was your doing.

So as I suspected the "late 2nd gen" headers will fit and provide about 3/4" more ground clearance. Todd's fitment of the late headers on an early car found them to hit the floor. This supports my earlier assumption based on the poor condition of the mock up car, that the body bushings were completely roached out, and resulted in the design issues that the Early cars have run into with these parts. So everyone knows, Mikes car is equipped with a set of our solid aluminum body bushings, which are machined to factory spec's. If you have worn bushings, or body dropped bushings, these headers may hit the floor. Now as for the design of the engine mounts, well I think the late mounts may also work, which would allow more of the factory accessory drives to fit. I'm pretty sure the front of the motor could go up as much as 1/2", but the t56 is may be tight if raised with the spacer used in the late kit.

So my advise is to ask Hooker to do some more test fitment and see if infact the entire "late" set up will fit on an early car. If so, the ground clearance will be as "promised", and Hooker won't have about a dozen part #'s to stock for 2nd gen LSx swap parts. Sounds like a win for everyone! well except for those who already bought the early stuff

Again, thanks mike for doing this.

3. 7ty-74

7ty-74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks to both of you for your expertise and your time.
    This will take out some of the hassle with this information.

Thanks again

4. mikespeed95

mikespeed95 Veteran Member

Todd,

If you could give me a call on monday. I have a 70 Camaro and I tried to order the parts today and was told I only needed the headers, mounts, and no oil pan and no x-member.....obviously whoever I talked to was incorrect.

I've PM'ed you my number, I have a 70 Camaro and will be happy to figure out if everything fits with a t56, I need to buy the stuff anyways.

5. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

Yes, it sounds like you weren't given completely correct information...maybe you spoke a new guy in training up in Tech Service. I'd be happy to give you the low-down on what you'll need/want to buy based on what your goals are.
    I'm taking my kids to Chuck-E-Cheese tonight, but I'll be around all weekend if you want to discuss it before Monday.

6. mikespeed95

mikespeed95 Veteran Member

My main lingering question is the oil pan. I have an F-Body pan, do I really need to swap to the holley pan? I've mocked up where I want the engine to go and it fits fine.

7. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

Yesterday was a real busy day in the shop Mike, which prevented me from be able to do any desk tasks or make any outgoing phone calls. I will call you mid-morning today to answer your questions.

8. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Could you please answer the question on the forum, I would be curious to know the answer :)

9. turbodarryl

turbodarryl Veteran Member

I can tell you that the F Body pan is a perfect fit

10. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

Thanks for chiming in Darryl. No effort was made to check its compatibility during the development of the Hooker components, but I assumed it would.