Hooker / Holley's new 2nd gen LS set-up

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by mikes70, Nov 20, 2013.

1. la-rue

la-rue Veteran Member

been a while since I've been on the forum.. my project died out for about 6 months after some electrical issues left me stumped back in april. finally got passed that and I'm getting ready to wrap up my swap. Just wanted to come back in here and say that the late second gen kit is a great product! well designed, easy to install, and the price is about as good as it gets. I used a complete LS1/4l60e setup from a 2000 Z28, all kept as is. I used the complete hooker/holly conversion kit, $899 flat. purchased through Keith at Custom Works

I'd recommend this kit to anyone doing a similar swap. My one complaint is the poo quality of the paint on the headers. I expected bad.. especially since the ceramic coated headers get horrible reviews. but I didn't expect it to start flaking instantly. Luckily I at least bought them with the intentions of having them coated by a specialty shop. Just didn't think they'd look bad so fast.

At the suggestion of several members here I purchased a Pypes x-pipe exhaust setup to go along with it. That is another purchase I'd recommend. Great price, sounds good, tucks up nice, stainless steel, and install was pretty straight forward (you do have to custom cut some of the pipes to fit, but it's fairly simple).

I'm in the process of wrapping up the last few things on the car before I can get it on the road, and once it's done I'll get some pics to post up here and in my own build thread.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  2. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

That's surprising considering being Holley. I have Dynatech swap headers and still look as new as the day I bought them.

3. mgs1971

mgs1971 Veteran Member

Summit has the engine mounts and transmission crossmember on sale for $309 with free shipping.
    Mike

4. cpd004

cpd004 Member

I'm interested in thoughts on this as well.

5. mikes70

mikes70 Veteran Member

We'll find out next week....headin to Keith's shop.

6. V8240Z

V8240Z Member

Keith did my install and the ground clearance is great...

7. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

pictures?

8. old93camaro

old93camaro Member

I looked threw this whole thread and did not see much about the z-bar. I want to get some hooker mid/long tube headers but it says i need a custom z-bar, my questin is what does that consiss of and what headers can i use with my muncie 4 speed transmission.

9. ks71z28

ks71z28 Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

We can help

10. ks71z28

ks71z28 Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

I have a ton of pictures, but it is a pain to post them.

We have figured out the Hooker fitment issues, and can get you guys the right package to make your engine fit really well. I love the fit of Charles's headers and accessories. We also remote mounted his coils, which made the engine look more oldschool. An LS1 with a good cam, and she really came to life!

Keith