Hooker / Holley's new 2nd gen LS set-up

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by mikes70, Nov 20, 2013.

1. cpd004

cpd004 Member

FWIW, I have a 71 Firebird that I'm doing an Ls3 swap in. I bought Hooker engine mounts and trans crossmember along with the shorty headers. The trans crossmember fits fine. The engine mounts came with a template to drill to install later model clamshell mounts. I decided to check everything before drilling. For some reason, the mounts would've been 1/4" too far forward if I had just put them on where the templates showed. I used the clamshell mounts bolted to the Hooker engine mounts to show where the holes should be made to secure the clamshell mounts to the frame.

The trans was bolted to the crossmember along with the mount and secured before I drilled any holes. The tail shaft was centered in the tunnel after it was all bolted up leading me to believe there was something else going on.

I drilled new holes for the clamshell mounts and dropped the motor back in. Everything seemed fine with clearance just about everywhere. I tried putting on the headers starting with the passenger side. It just touched the frame. No big deal I though as it looks like a small dent with hammer and socket would work. The drivers side on then other hand was a horrible fit. The most forward tube was completely in the way striking the crossmember. It would've had to be cut out and reshaped to work. Even if the motor would've went back a 1/4" as the template suggests for the mounts, there would not have been enough room for this header. I'm not sure why I've had these issues.

My Ls3 came from a Corvette. I grabbed to the manifolds and threw them on. The fit is great and the drivers side has plenty of clearance around the linkage. The only thing I've had to do is bend the brake lines a little further away.

I haven't called Hooker to see what they would have to say.

2. ks71z28

ks71z28 Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Likely it was just some descrepency in stuff, their templates are usually right on for fitment of the mounts.

BTW why go through the expense of a LS swap and keep the manifolds?

3. cpd004

cpd004 Member

Because the headers don't fit and the Corvette manifolds do. Modern day exhaust manifolds are worlds better than the old school stuff. I would prefer to use the headers and not waste my money to send them back but at this point, other than having a bunch of different headers showing up for trial fit, I don't see another viable option.

4. ks71z28

The Hooker headers fit great, you just need to call us and get RIGHT ones! We can help with that

5. cpd004

cpd004 Member

I called Hooker directly who gave me part numbers before I ordered. I never checked this site before I strarted the swap. There are only 2 different headers recommended for my car. The only other option per Hooker is long tubes and I don't want to order them without knowing for sure just to have to pay to send them back.

6. ks71z28

You may want to give us a call. We sorted out what Hooker can't seem to do. We do LS swaps in house and are a Hooker/Holley dealer and installation center. We can get you the parts that will make you happy. The guy at Hooker doesn't install the stuff, nor does he own a 2nd gen! At custom Works we all do!

7. cpd004

cpd004 Member

So which header will work? The primary down tube on the drivers side kits the sub frame.

8. ks71z28

So you are stating the Hooker headers hit the subframe? We have installed ALL of the Hooker LS swap headers, the ONLY issue that has come up is the lack of ground clearance with the early 2nd gen long tube headers. As for that we have a solution. Again, we are a Hooker dealer and we first to receive these mounts, and headers when released. We have sold over 40 sets, and have personally installed all of the headers and mounts without any sort of interference.

9. cpd004

cpd004 Member

After looking at my order form...I ordered the correct headers for my car (70-74 version) I went out to look at the box and saw that I was shipped the 1st gen Ls header. The correct ones are on the way and hopefully they'll bolt on without issue.

10. ks71z28

You should have ordered them from us