Hooker LS conversion exhaust manifolds

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 75Maro, Jul 29, 2013.

1. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

About How much will a used factory FEAD set up run me ?

2. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

The CAD modeling on the Hooker cast iron manifolds was loosely based on the 5th-gen manifolds, but we smoothed out the flow path of all of the cylinders and tucked them tighter to the engine for more clearance in swap applications. The other benefit to the Hooker manifolds is that we will be releasing bolt-in adapters that will let you connect them directly to the 2.5" Hooker exhaust system that we'll be releasing next month. So, if you want to run a full exhaust system with manifolds that lets you eliminate the trip to your local muffler shop, then the Hooker manifolds and exhaust system will get you there. We will also be releasing a 3" exhaust system at the same time, but there will only be adapters available to connect that system to our 1-7/8" mid-length headers;all our long-tube swap headers for this application connect directly to the 3" system or are connectable to the 2.5" system with another set of adapter pipes.

There is no greater range of distinctly compatible 2nd-gen swap mounts, transmission crossmembers, manifolds, headers, exhaust systems, optional tailpipes assemblies, oil pans or accessory drive components (all CAD modeled CFD/FEA validated) than that which is offered by Hooker/Holley.
    You can finally build your car the way you want in a high-quality bolt-on fashion and with the industry's best ground clearance. We've also applied this same effort to the 1st-gen LS swap application and those parts/systems will follow just after the 2nd-gen parts are released.

You guys that are just now starting your swaps are coming into this at a great time as you don't have to accept some of the shortcomings that were designed into the parts/kits that have been available for this application to this point.

If the brand of parts you're considering makes one mount kit or one set of long-tube headers for all model year 2nd-gens you can be assured they did not put in the required effort to develop the best possible product for every model year 2nd-gen. Why? Because the slight, yet distinct differences in the subframes and floors of 1970-74 F-bodies and 1975-81 F-bodies require different engine mount and long-tube header geometries to provide the highest possible ground clearance AND an acceptable engine/transmission inclination angle, which translates to usable U-joint working angles in all cases.

You will observe this for yourself when you see posted ground clearance photos of other long-tubes on this, and other online forums and wonder why the headers hang so low under the subframe and yet leave so much clearance between the collectors and the floor pan, or why the thread poster is stuck with running a 5 degree engine inclination angle to get his header collectors to clear the floorpan of his 1970-74 F-body (and they angle towards the ground as well instead of being level with the subframe).

If you guys want photos of anything in particular related to the above mentioned Hooker/Holley parts, just let me know and try to accommodate your request the best I can.

Regards,

Todd

3. joeljet

joeljet Veteran Member

whats the time line on the early 2nd gen full length hooker headers?

4. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

We just completed to fitment validation of the 1970-74 engine mount brackets and long tube headers last week, which means we can now move forward with finalizing the production welding fixtures for launching those applications. The process took a couple of weeks longer than anticipated due to some disruptions in the shop that didn't allow us to get the vehicle in as expected. This week will be consumed by efforts to finalize the Hooker
    2.5" and 3" exhaust system fixtures as they will all be making the transition from Engineering to Production next week for building and releasing. Once I come back from that trip, I will jump right on the early long tubes to release them just behind the exhaust systems by a couple of weeks. The first production run of the engine mounts will be taking place simultaneously with the headers, so they will be released at the same time. My best guess at this point is the first week of next month.

5. tstarx

tstarx Member

Just a quick question don't want to take over the post. I had my heads worked and milled have a custom grind cam and plan on a shot of nitrous. It's a street car not track will the f car manifolds hurt my performance? I have a set that came with a ls1 engine I bought for the parts. I am really new to the ls scene. My motor is a 07 ls2.

6. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

You're going to be giving up some of the additional power the new cam can bring you if you choose to run manifolds. With the extra exhaust requirement imposed by the nitrous, I would be looking at running an 1-7/8" mid-lenth header as a minimum requirement.

7. tstarx

tstarx Member

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know if a set of headers would be a waste of money if the manifolds could do the job. I'll just post the manifolds on craigslist. Thanks again.

8. James Kirk

James Kirk New Member

Hey Todd,
    Did you guys ever get the transition pieces that go from the cast manifolds down to the 2.5 inch straight pipe exhaust. Im at that point and either have to tow it to a shop or bolt something in.
    Thanks
    JK

9. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

42101HKR is the part number you need James. Summit has them listed on their site and I'm sure they are obtainable from other sources as well. Keep in mind that they bolt right up to your manifolds and there is an O2 bung in each adapter, so that's something you won't have to figure out or pay to have someone install them for you.