Horn wiring loose

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by David Muro, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:47 PM.

Tags:
  1. David Muro

David Muro New Member

Dear friends, my name is David, I have a Camaro RS, 1980, t-top, I have had it since 2001 and I haven't finished its restoration yet! I am not fluent in English, forgive me something spelled wrong! : \
    One of the problems I have just encountered is that the wire that feeds (positive) the horn relay is loose. I have no idea where it should be, in fact, I suspect it's on the back of the fuse box, but I don't know where. Can anyone help me identify exactly where this wire should be?[​IMG]

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know if this diagram helps.
    http://nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/78w-ip1.jpg
    It shows that the green wire goes out under the hood to the horns mounted there. The red wire comes from the fuse panel to provide power. Your relay appears to have more wires than the factory relay is shown on the diagram. Perhaps that isn't the factory relay.

3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yea I couldn't find anything that looked like what you have there in the wiring diagram. If you put 12 volts to that wire, does the horn work? The way the relay is wired that wire does appear to be one that should be fed 12V hot, since it is tapped over to the other terminal on the relay that needs 12 for the relay to work, you can see the black wire obviously goes to horn button and provides ground on relay to operate relay. The wiring diagrams on here only go up to 1978, and all those show that there is a red wire that feeds power from wire going to a connector block but that terminal in the pic is not the sort of terminal that snaps into a standard GM block. On older cars with horn relay under hood, horn relay was fed right of charging system wire, So your guess may be correct that it goes to the back of the fuse block, where the bat wire comes in and provides power to certain fuses. they do have additional wires coming off the back side of the fuse tabs, but that doesn't look like it broke off. And it is not easy getting to the back side of the fuse panel to check it out either. I'm guessing that it came off the back off the fuse block and was part of the BAT feed that powers the fuse for tail, hazard and courtesy lights/clock/lighter fuses. That is the only set of fuses that are hot at all times. If no one else chimes in, you could always run it to the BAT terminal on the front of the fuse block, you would have to clip that end off and put a 1/4" female spade terminal on. Hopefully that terminal is open, I know from a recent post is seemed in the later years GM was using the Bat and ACCY terminals on the front of the fuse block for some of the options that the later years had instead of re-working the wire harness'.

4. David Muro

David Muro New Member

Hello Gary and grzewnicki, it really is not an original relay, but it seems to me to have been well adapted, I will test the grzewnicki tip and turn on 12v, I'm pretty sure it will work, but I would like to leave it on where it should be, because I read that the horn has no fuse. Haynes's book says "A 16-gauge link to protect all unfused wiring of 12-gauge or larger. This is located at the horn relay or junction block.". Does the original horn work all the time or does the ignition key need to be turned on?

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The original horn works all the time. (What you've shown is not a factory relay.)

It's a "Batt" (battery) connection not "IGN" ignition which supplies power to the Horn circuit.
    You can use a connection at the front of the fuse block marked "Batt" to supply power to the relay.

BTW... On an 80 or 81 Camaro... there are two fusible links (16 Gauge) at the connections to the Starter Solenoid.
    Previous years only had a single 14 Gauge link.

Welcome to NastyZ28!
    Your English is very good, don't worry about that. ;)

6. David Muro

David Muro New Member

Relay works fine
    My friend google Translator help me a lot!
    Tks for passing on your knowledge!