Hose Replacement

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by cruzer33, Jun 13, 2019.

1. cruzer33

cruzer33 Veteran Member

I want to replace the heater hose that runs from the intake manifold, over the top of the inner fender (wheelwell) and disappears on its way down to, I assume, the lower heater core hose attachment stub. How do I get access to the hose clamp and room to work?
    1978 with air conditioning Thanks

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I take the hard road and pull the inner fender. Several here have taken off all but the front bolts, and around the battery. You can then pull the inner fender out/down and use a piece of wood as a wedge to keep it out of the way.

3. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gotta love Chevrolet for that one

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Then a utility knife to slit hose down the side then a trick I have used for many years, get a cotter key puller, the one with a screwdriver handle and a hook/point on the end. Usually they are bent at a 90 deg angle so if the hose end is facing away from you you can come in from the side with the hook and work your way around the hose to break the connection the hoses love to make with the heater core stub outs. Works great for radiator hoses also, just don't slit the hose if your gonna re-use it. I don't think I have ever failed to get a hose off using my technique.

hubedobeedo and BillyDean7173 like this.
  5. Scott Sievers

Scott Sievers Veteran Member

It took me about ten minutes to unbolt the inner fender. I left the front bolts in, and just dropped the rear of the inner fender to gain access to the lower hose. Only.. My heater core was bad so I had to pull the whole heater box out from under the dash.. that was ugly, and took the better part of a day, with breaks to go have a beer and calm down..... but, its done!

hubedobeedo likes this.